2003 Jaguar X308 (Canada) with starting issue
Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:24 pm
Hi, all;
I have an intermittent starting problem with my 2003MY (Canada) X308 XJR-R1. It has 256,000 KMs on it, and has been dealer maintained since my purchase in 2007, at 35,000 KMs. I’d say it’s a very well-cared-for car. Every feature works perfectly. It just keeps going, and still looks lovely.
For some time, I had noticed that when I turned the key to start the car, there was a delay before cranking would occur, of less than half a second. Just enough of a delay that it seemed out-of-place, but then the car started fine and off I went. Then, on one occasion, while a turn of the key made all the normal check lights come on, the car just did not start. A few minutes later it did.
There is no clicking or other sound from the engine when this occurs. Battery is new. It’s just a delay between the key turning and the car starting.
I took the car to the dealer, and they found no obvious fault. I suggested a relay, and they swapped relays, and my sense is that the problem was better; not fixed, but better — there was still a delay between key turn and crank, but it seemed less of a delay then previously.
Some weeks back, the delay between key turn and crank seemed to be longer again, so I changed the relays in the location at the bulkhead in the right side of the engine bay (using the new black relays from Jaguar as the OEM brown ones are no longer used). Again, that shortened the delay, eliminating it, in my view. Indeed since this issue has arisen, I've used the supplementary manual (which corrects the inaccurate relay locations provided in the thicker owner's manual) and have replaced all relays noted as being related to ignition, or starting -- in the aforementioned bulkhead location, and in the drivers side relay location in the engine near the ABS manifold at the front of the car .
This past weekend, after a trip into town, it happened again — not just a delay, but no start. I carry an extra relay, but not the Torx bit to unfasten the access panel to the bulkhead relay location, so I went to a local hardware store and bought one. Ten minutes later, I returned to the car, turned the key (just in case it had resolved itself), and all was well, and has remained so.
This has yet to be a first-start-of-the-day problem; it always occurs during the day after a short errand, or a longer drive. In cool weather or in hot weather. While my sense of it is that the first start of the day is a bit rougher than any other start of the day, i.e., it seems just a little rough, not smooth (making me wonder if the starter is going after 17 years), but starts up immediately, nonetheless.
Does anyone have experience with this and what resolved the problem? Could it be a starter issue?
Any guidance appreciated.
Adam
I have an intermittent starting problem with my 2003MY (Canada) X308 XJR-R1. It has 256,000 KMs on it, and has been dealer maintained since my purchase in 2007, at 35,000 KMs. I’d say it’s a very well-cared-for car. Every feature works perfectly. It just keeps going, and still looks lovely.
For some time, I had noticed that when I turned the key to start the car, there was a delay before cranking would occur, of less than half a second. Just enough of a delay that it seemed out-of-place, but then the car started fine and off I went. Then, on one occasion, while a turn of the key made all the normal check lights come on, the car just did not start. A few minutes later it did.
There is no clicking or other sound from the engine when this occurs. Battery is new. It’s just a delay between the key turning and the car starting.
I took the car to the dealer, and they found no obvious fault. I suggested a relay, and they swapped relays, and my sense is that the problem was better; not fixed, but better — there was still a delay between key turn and crank, but it seemed less of a delay then previously.
Some weeks back, the delay between key turn and crank seemed to be longer again, so I changed the relays in the location at the bulkhead in the right side of the engine bay (using the new black relays from Jaguar as the OEM brown ones are no longer used). Again, that shortened the delay, eliminating it, in my view. Indeed since this issue has arisen, I've used the supplementary manual (which corrects the inaccurate relay locations provided in the thicker owner's manual) and have replaced all relays noted as being related to ignition, or starting -- in the aforementioned bulkhead location, and in the drivers side relay location in the engine near the ABS manifold at the front of the car .
This past weekend, after a trip into town, it happened again — not just a delay, but no start. I carry an extra relay, but not the Torx bit to unfasten the access panel to the bulkhead relay location, so I went to a local hardware store and bought one. Ten minutes later, I returned to the car, turned the key (just in case it had resolved itself), and all was well, and has remained so.
This has yet to be a first-start-of-the-day problem; it always occurs during the day after a short errand, or a longer drive. In cool weather or in hot weather. While my sense of it is that the first start of the day is a bit rougher than any other start of the day, i.e., it seems just a little rough, not smooth (making me wonder if the starter is going after 17 years), but starts up immediately, nonetheless.
Does anyone have experience with this and what resolved the problem? Could it be a starter issue?
Any guidance appreciated.
Adam