Page 1 of 1

Eye Level Brake Lights

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:20 pm
by RichardSEL
Only three of the bulbs light in my eye level brake light unit.
Are they filiament bulbs? And are they changeable?

Seen how the unit's supported down the rear of the parcel shelf
But how do you access the underside of parcel shelf to unplug the unit?

Re: Eye Level Brake Lights

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:56 pm
by RichardSEL

Re: Eye Level Brake Lights

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:27 pm
by Orkney
I've seen this guy on YouTube before - he does his best but don't buy 12v 21/5 bulbs for that location, they are for stop/tail, the right ones are capless but I'm not sure of the wattage but probably the dealers will. Not sure if there is an LED equivalent but that's the way I go with most bulbs these days. Error free ones are available but not sure if this location would cause canbus problems anyway.
Ian

Re: Eye Level Brake Lights

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:06 pm
by GordonJ
Personally I didn't think he was very good at all.

Gordon

Re: Eye Level Brake Lights

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:46 pm
by RichardSEL
Good grief! A helpful User Guide :P It's all on sect 5-16 to access showing the tangs for rear cover removal.
The bulbs are of the wire ended W5W variety with one in the engine bay spares tray.
The list on 5-18 does actually stipulate "High mounted stop light 12V 5W Capless long life"

They're also used as VW Passat B6 sidelights. There's a CANbus friendly equivalent that's
either white about 5000k or cream output about 4000k. Some LEDs are handed.
I use a home supplier for my LEDs -- Imperial LEDs

Don't think the high mounted stop light is monitored in the XJ8's CANbus system ('01MY). Had three bulbs out with no faulty light message or icon on dash. Either that or the monitoring is for "all out" but doesn't trigger for just one working...

Re: Eye Level Brake Lights

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:45 pm
by ptjs1
Richard,

I may be wrong but I THINK the light fault circuit requires a minimum of side lights to be on before it activates. Try running the sidelights with engine running then press the brake pedal to see if it activates a fault.

Paul

Re: Eye Level Brake Lights

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:56 am
by RichardSEL
Richard, I may be wrong but I THINK the light fault circuit requires a minimum of side lights to be on before it activates. Try running the sidelights with engine running then press the brake pedal to see if it activates a fault. Paul
I haven't bought my fault clearance CANbus thingie yet!

But I am saving up by being a lottery winner :P
:idea: Put two quid into a jar with the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 written on it.
Every week those numbers don't come up. Result 8)