Only three of the bulbs light in my eye level brake light unit.
Are they filiament bulbs? And are they changeable?
Seen how the unit's supported down the rear of the parcel shelf
But how do you access the underside of parcel shelf to unplug the unit?
Eye Level Brake Lights
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Eye Level Brake Lights
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Eye Level Brake Lights
I've seen this guy on YouTube before - he does his best but don't buy 12v 21/5 bulbs for that location, they are for stop/tail, the right ones are capless but I'm not sure of the wattage but probably the dealers will. Not sure if there is an LED equivalent but that's the way I go with most bulbs these days. Error free ones are available but not sure if this location would cause canbus problems anyway.
Ian
Ian
1989 XJ-S V12 Convertible
Previous:
2000 Daimler Super V8 Anthracite with Ivory leather
1984 4.2 Series 3
1984 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1988 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1985 XJ-SC 3.6 Cabriolet built from new shell and donor write off - owned 24 years
Previous:
2000 Daimler Super V8 Anthracite with Ivory leather
1984 4.2 Series 3
1984 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1988 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1985 XJ-SC 3.6 Cabriolet built from new shell and donor write off - owned 24 years
Re: Eye Level Brake Lights
Personally I didn't think he was very good at all.
Gordon
Gordon
XJ6 X350 Sovereign
Chairman. Doncaster and District Region
Email. doncaster.district@gmail.com
Previous Jaguars.
XJ8 Sovereign in Seafrost
S Type in Red
Chairman. Doncaster and District Region
Email. doncaster.district@gmail.com
Previous Jaguars.
XJ8 Sovereign in Seafrost
S Type in Red
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Eye Level Brake Lights
Good grief! A helpful User Guide
It's all on sect 5-16 to access showing the tangs for rear cover removal.
The bulbs are of the wire ended W5W variety with one in the engine bay spares tray.
The list on 5-18 does actually stipulate "High mounted stop light 12V 5W Capless long life"
They're also used as VW Passat B6 sidelights. There's a CANbus friendly equivalent that's
either white about 5000k or cream output about 4000k. Some LEDs are handed.
I use a home supplier for my LEDs -- Imperial LEDs
Don't think the high mounted stop light is monitored in the XJ8's CANbus system ('01MY). Had three bulbs out with no faulty light message or icon on dash. Either that or the monitoring is for "all out" but doesn't trigger for just one working...
The bulbs are of the wire ended W5W variety with one in the engine bay spares tray.
The list on 5-18 does actually stipulate "High mounted stop light 12V 5W Capless long life"
They're also used as VW Passat B6 sidelights. There's a CANbus friendly equivalent that's
either white about 5000k or cream output about 4000k. Some LEDs are handed.
I use a home supplier for my LEDs -- Imperial LEDs
Don't think the high mounted stop light is monitored in the XJ8's CANbus system ('01MY). Had three bulbs out with no faulty light message or icon on dash. Either that or the monitoring is for "all out" but doesn't trigger for just one working...
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Eye Level Brake Lights
Richard,
I may be wrong but I THINK the light fault circuit requires a minimum of side lights to be on before it activates. Try running the sidelights with engine running then press the brake pedal to see if it activates a fault.
Paul
I may be wrong but I THINK the light fault circuit requires a minimum of side lights to be on before it activates. Try running the sidelights with engine running then press the brake pedal to see if it activates a fault.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Eye Level Brake Lights
I haven't bought my fault clearance CANbus thingie yet!Richard, I may be wrong but I THINK the light fault circuit requires a minimum of side lights to be on before it activates. Try running the sidelights with engine running then press the brake pedal to see if it activates a fault. Paul
But I am saving up by being a lottery winner
Every week those numbers don't come up. Result
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

