Hi All
I have a 98 xjr which went to the garage for mot and some body work. When it came back the passenger side front door did not open from the outside or inside. I bought it back to the garage who had it for another couple of days. The door now opens manually only from the inside but not from the outside. The central locking works on all the other doors but has no effect on the passenger front. There is a clicking so I believe the electrics are trying to do something but the door still fails to open. Any ideas please as it's hugely frustrating! Thanks in advance
Passenger front door not opening
Re: Passenger front door not opening
Hi nicklisoire845,
First thing I'd try is a 'hard reset'(solves many electrical problems).
Disconnect the battery at the negative terminal and hold it to the positive terminal for about 30 seconds - REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR RADIO CODE. This process puts the car's programming back to original and might bring your door actuator back on-line.
If not, you may need a lock actuator or microswitch within the actuator. They can and do fail so replacement is the option here.
Either eBay or a Jaguar breakers should have them.
You will need to remove the door card to get to the actuator but before you do anything give everything a clean and a spray with some WD40 or similar lubricant.
I had the rear passenger door on mine not locking at all,a good clean of the moving parts got it all back working and has been ok since.
The mechanism your looking for is this: Hope that helps a bit and good luck.
Take care.
Andy
First thing I'd try is a 'hard reset'(solves many electrical problems).
Disconnect the battery at the negative terminal and hold it to the positive terminal for about 30 seconds - REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR RADIO CODE. This process puts the car's programming back to original and might bring your door actuator back on-line.
If not, you may need a lock actuator or microswitch within the actuator. They can and do fail so replacement is the option here.
Either eBay or a Jaguar breakers should have them.
You will need to remove the door card to get to the actuator but before you do anything give everything a clean and a spray with some WD40 or similar lubricant.
I had the rear passenger door on mine not locking at all,a good clean of the moving parts got it all back working and has been ok since.
The mechanism your looking for is this: Hope that helps a bit and good luck.
Take care.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
-
nicklisoire845

- Posts:7
- Joined:Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:31 am
Re: Passenger front door not opening
Thanks Andy,
A very helpful and detailed reply. It turned out to be the actuator as you explained. I bought a second hand one on eBay and all working fine now
A very helpful and detailed reply. It turned out to be the actuator as you explained. I bought a second hand one on eBay and all working fine now

Re: Passenger front door not opening
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the update and I'm glad you got it sorted
.
Enjoy your car.
Take care and stay safe.
Andy
Thanks for the update and I'm glad you got it sorted
Enjoy your car.
Take care and stay safe.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests