This is an odd one.... the top hose came off
I did not touch anything as I wanted my mechanic to see it first, thing is the hose is on with a jubilee clip, not the plastic one. I must assume the PO had maybe some problem like that before?
anyway, for now we refilled with ordinary water to "flush" the car - noticed no heat so assumed an airlock - the mechanic took her for a run and all gauges are normal, no warning messages and the heat came back after switching the heater off and on again. She switched to gas slightly longer than usual, I assume as she was not up to temp due to the airlock.
She is running fine now, there was an odd rattle we could not place that seems to have gone but we will be keeping our eyes (and ears) open in case something else has broken/failed
we are going to drain it completely in the morning (as we are both busy and can't do it until then) and he asked me to find out the best method for doing that, he is a BMW bloke with some jag experience and wants to find out the "proper" bleeding procedure before filling her with coolant again.
thanks so far for the advice