Draining and refilling cooling system.

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

prospero
Posts:24
Joined:Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:51 pm
Draining and refilling cooling system.

Postby prospero » Sat May 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Fellow posters,can I ask if anyone has done this job on their car.
I've ordered 15 litres of the red 4LIFE anti-freeze ( I'll have 3 litres
over ) at a cost of £52.00 from Demon Tweeks in west Wales.
I would appreciate a step by step procedure if possible,as I've
not done this routine on a Jaguar before.
All advice will be appreciated.

prospero.


User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Draining and refilling cooling system.

Postby J44EAG » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 pm

The proceedure on V8`s in all Models XJ, XK & S-type, is to release the pressure cap on the header tank and refill via the removable cap on the thermostat tower until fluid is at the top lip of the tower. Replace the tower cap and tighten to the correct torque figure.

On my S-type V8, I squeezed the bottom hose by hand during filling to evacuate air from the system. I then ran the car to operating temperature and topped up the header tank after the thermostat opened which expelled a little more air. Set the heater control to full hot to make sure air is expelled from that part of the system also.

Road test the car, check for leaks and adjust coolent level in the tank as appropriate.

Take a look at the S-type Forum pages in the October 2009 edition of our magazine. The proceedure for filling after a partial coolant system strip down is detailed complete with pictures.

Although on my V8 S-type, the principles are the same for XJ8 and XK8, 4 litre powered cars.

If you no longer have your copy of that issue, send me a mail and I`ll send you a PDF copy by return.

Mike Kennedy. S-type Forum Co-ordinator.
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Jeroen
Posts:5
Joined:Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 am

Re: Draining and refilling cooling system.

Postby Jeroen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:27 am

On my 2002 XJR 4.0l supercharged engine it is a bit more complex. The supercharger sits on top of the engine. Higher than the expansion tank. You need a 19mm Allen key to undo the plug on the charge air cooler. The supercharger has it’s own electrical cooling water pump.

There is a three page instruction on the JTIS on how to purge. I had to do the other day as I replaced the super charger cooling water pump. It’s a pretty elaborate procedure, but not necessarily the easiest to understand what it is Jaguar wants you to do.

Jeroen

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Draining and refilling cooling system.

Postby J44EAG » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:55 am

My tip is this.

On XJR/XKR and early XFR both in 4.0 and 4.2 litre forms, it is quite easy to evacuate the air on the inter-cooler circuit by simply untightening the last in the circuit outflow hose jubilee clip, then breaking the stiction on the hose to the inter-cooler pipe and then just allowing the trapped air to squirt out with a bit of coolant. That does the same job as releasing the female (often 19mm hex) bleed plug. Its rather faster than making up a 19mm bolt with a few 19mm nuts for use with the appropriate socket and ratchet. Few of us will have a male 19mm socket drive so this method does the same thing without issue.

Mike K XJR 350 V8. 4.2
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Jeroen
Posts:5
Joined:Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 am

Re: Draining and refilling cooling system.

Postby Jeroen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:53 am

The interesting thing is that the official Jaguar procedure calls for a bit more work then just undoing a nut or a hose.
Given the fact that leaving air pockets in the cooling circuit might cause engine / super charger damage, I prefer to stick to the original Jaguar process. I don’t know if it is allowed on this forum or if anybody is interested, but i will happily post the relevant pages from the JTIS

The 19 mm Allen key is one that many of us would not have in our standard tool kits. A brand new one, isn’t to expensive either. Anything form a few pounds to several tens of pounds. If this is the only reason you are buying it, get a cheap one as the torque setting for such a large plug is actually not very high.

I picked up a good set of all large sizes the other day at the International Car Jumble at Beaulieu.

Jeroen


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests