OEM water pump buyers beware

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

teejay246
Posts:1
Joined:Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:55 am
OEM water pump buyers beware

Postby teejay246 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Hello all
I have a 2002 3.2. Last year with 80,000mls recorded on the original water pump (with the plastic impeller), I decided to renew with an OEM replacement. So I went online and I bought one with a three-year warranty. It lasted three months so I contacted the supplier, he expressed his immense surprise and sent me a replacement. But he said he had never had a problem with the ones he sells and then asked me if I'd had the belt changed recently as this could have made the unit fail. I assured him that I hadn't. At the same time I tackled him Re: consumer rights which state that he would have to also pay for the labour of replacing it. All credit to him, he did so.
So far so good. However, this week, 18 months on, this replacement pump has also failed. I have covered less than 12000 miles since it was fitted. Again I went on the internet to check the prices of various OEM products but also the cost of a Genuine Jaguar replacement part. No surprises that the Genuine part was at least twice as expensive as any others and I noticed a great proliferation of the OEM parts made by "Aertex". On talking to my original supplier he confirmed that it was indeed this brand that he stocked. I noticed that many people sell this brand, for as little as £34. Needless to say, I feel I need to warn you guys about my experience. With such a critical piece of kit, if it went wrong, without warning, you could end up damaging your engine, I have decided that in future, in spite of the additional cost, for parts that play such a critical role as this one,I'm going to buy original equipment. Let's face it the old-style water pump with the plastic impeller lasted 80,000 miles!
BTW: the original supplier and I negotiated and, in return for my not pursuing payment for the labour, he is sending me a brand-new Genuine Jaguar replacement free of charge.
:lol:

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: OEM water pump buyers beware

Postby Brakebuster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:55 pm

from memory , an original Jaguar supplied pump cost me £60 from my local dealership , but that was five years ago


cant beat original kit

BB 8)
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

ptjs1

Member
Posts:3520
Joined:Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:14 pm
Location:Kent

Re: OEM water pump buyers beware

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:04 pm

teejay246,

Sorry to hear about the problems. Presumably the ones you were buying were not actually OEM (original equipment manufacturer) but were pattern parts? I must admit on things like water pumps, oil pumps etc, I am reluctant to move away from original, but I guess price always plays a role.

Hope you get it sorted.

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests