If it is a hot day and I drive the car up to temperature and park up for 10 mins, when I try to start again the starter motor turns but no fuel is getting to the engine. If I leave it for 20 mins it starts OK. I know that no fuel is getting to the engine because it is not flooded. This happens when the outside temperature is above 25 degrees. It also happens if the Auxiliary fan has kicked in after stopping. Help please. I have posted this in electrical also because the garage has checked the error codes and nothing shows. If I keep the engine turning there is a message on the dash that says "FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE" I have had a replacement thermostat fitted about 2 months ago.
Hot engine won't restart on hot day
Hot engine
Who ever you are.........i have submitted your queerie to Dave Marks for his interpretation of your problem..........it has happened before im sure
Joe...........manchester eh?........
Joe...........manchester eh?........
Hot day starting
Peter the reply from Dave Marks is as follows.........Joe
Ian the reply from David Marks re your problem.........
Joe hello,
This is a most unusual fault, one that I have not come across in this specific heat related form before.
We have had circumstances of V8 cars cranking but failing to start and these have come down to a problem with the gearbox rotary switch (applicable to 3.2 and 4.0 n/a cars only), whereby conflicting signals about gear select position are sent to the ECU and the fuelling is disabled.
These rotary switches are a series of micro switches in a housing and it is possible they are being affected by heat.
You will need to have the car scanned by a real time scanner in order to study the gearbox inputs along with the gear select inputs and compare them.
if you find, for example that the gear select says park but the rotary switch says drive, that is your problem.
As far as I am aware, only Autologic or Jaguar equipment and maybe the higher end Gendan options are able to do this.
Hope this helps
Mail back if required
Regards
Ian the reply from David Marks re your problem.........
Joe hello,
This is a most unusual fault, one that I have not come across in this specific heat related form before.
We have had circumstances of V8 cars cranking but failing to start and these have come down to a problem with the gearbox rotary switch (applicable to 3.2 and 4.0 n/a cars only), whereby conflicting signals about gear select position are sent to the ECU and the fuelling is disabled.
These rotary switches are a series of micro switches in a housing and it is possible they are being affected by heat.
You will need to have the car scanned by a real time scanner in order to study the gearbox inputs along with the gear select inputs and compare them.
if you find, for example that the gear select says park but the rotary switch says drive, that is your problem.
As far as I am aware, only Autologic or Jaguar equipment and maybe the higher end Gendan options are able to do this.
Hope this helps
Mail back if required
Regards
Hi ptopping,
This sounds suspiciously like a fault I had with a Rover SD1 Vanden Plas Efi 3.5 V8 some years ago. It would do the same as your car when hot if you stopped for more than a couple of minutes. Like yours, no fuel would be getting through and no amount of cranking would persuade it to start until it cooled down after about half an hour. I found that if you carefully poured water over the injector fuel rails it would start when hot, so the problem was a "vapour lock" in the fuel rails.
I eventually found that the under bonnet sound deadening material was not attached properly, and it was hanging down over both sides of the engine and thus keeping it unduly warm when stopped. I suggest you check the sound deadening on the underside of your bonnet to see if it's loose.
This sounds suspiciously like a fault I had with a Rover SD1 Vanden Plas Efi 3.5 V8 some years ago. It would do the same as your car when hot if you stopped for more than a couple of minutes. Like yours, no fuel would be getting through and no amount of cranking would persuade it to start until it cooled down after about half an hour. I found that if you carefully poured water over the injector fuel rails it would start when hot, so the problem was a "vapour lock" in the fuel rails.
I eventually found that the under bonnet sound deadening material was not attached properly, and it was hanging down over both sides of the engine and thus keeping it unduly warm when stopped. I suggest you check the sound deadening on the underside of your bonnet to see if it's loose.
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey
Re: Hot engine won't restart on hot day
Thank you all for your help. The problem has gone away at the moment, possibly due to the temperature outside not reaching as high. I will monitor the problem and report back. Regards Peter
Re: Hot engine won't restart on hot day
Here we go again with No Start. I don't know if it is coincidence but when it happens if I put the car into neutral it starts first time!!!! Spooky.
Re: Hot engine won't restart on hot day
looking back through the postings, I see David Marks suggests the gearbox rotary switch, logic follows that if you shift into N and you get a start, that the rotary switch may well be at fault
I would suggest a scan of the car with Jaguar IDS or Autologic, this will indentify any faults
I would suggest a scan of the car with Jaguar IDS or Autologic, this will indentify any faults
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Hot engine won't restart on hot day
I had a 2.8 Capri that could vapour lock when hot. Eventually, I found the fuel feed pipe to be touching a rocker cover. Cable tied the pipe up off the cover and the problem disappeared.
Mike
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Hot engine won't restart on hot day
As Rob has alluded to, if it will start in Neutral but not in Park, it can't be fuel vapour lock. It must be a problem with the rotary switch which locks out starting in anything other than Neutral or Park.
Good luck with getting it started.
Paul
Good luck with getting it started.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

