Problem - need urgent help
Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 pm
Hi there,
Well, I bought a 2000 model year XJ8 a few months ago and as a precaution had the top timing chain tensioners, plus waterpump etc replaced with the latest type. It's been great for the 5 months since then.
The other night driving home from work I noticed that the car from the outside sounded like a Diesel - really clattery when running and also on start-up. As a result I suspect I may have a problem with the lower tensioners or chain.
I have arranged for Jagtech in Chichester to take the car in tomorrow and as a result planned to have the car taken by the RAC to them eather than running it which may result in more major damage. Problem is I need to get the car off the drive and onto the back of an RAC low loader. Does anyone know if there's a way of pushing it somehow with the automatic gearbox or will I just have to start it and pray? Also how much risk would there be in driving it the 20 miles there? Wife actually drove the little one to nursery today in it and it sounded fine (short hop and the only option she had)
I'm really worried and keen for any advice.
Thanks,
Jonathan
Well, I bought a 2000 model year XJ8 a few months ago and as a precaution had the top timing chain tensioners, plus waterpump etc replaced with the latest type. It's been great for the 5 months since then.
The other night driving home from work I noticed that the car from the outside sounded like a Diesel - really clattery when running and also on start-up. As a result I suspect I may have a problem with the lower tensioners or chain.
I have arranged for Jagtech in Chichester to take the car in tomorrow and as a result planned to have the car taken by the RAC to them eather than running it which may result in more major damage. Problem is I need to get the car off the drive and onto the back of an RAC low loader. Does anyone know if there's a way of pushing it somehow with the automatic gearbox or will I just have to start it and pray? Also how much risk would there be in driving it the 20 miles there? Wife actually drove the little one to nursery today in it and it sounded fine (short hop and the only option she had)
I'm really worried and keen for any advice.
Thanks,
Jonathan