Hi all,
Upon buying parts one supplier told me my 4.0 sc was coming up on Jaguar’s records as a normally aspirated, which is weird. I have the original dealer stamped books, all the service history all saying sc.
I contacted Jaguar to see if they could correct it. She asked to see the V5 but it doesn’t actually say anything other than V8 auto, but has some codes on the “version” and “variant” sections in the V5. I haven’t a clue what these mean, does anyone know what a V8 4.0 SC should say?
Can you tell just from the VIN?
Furthermore the mass-in service is 1910kg and all most vehicle check websites say supercharged or 370 bhp and so all these things point to the correct designation.
Assurance / option greatly appreciated!
V5 Log book question
Cheers
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Re: V5 Log book question
It’s not just you, I think their records are only any good for the latest cars.
I have a X306 supercharged car (the one with the IL6 NOT the V8) and the records on Jaguars Topix system are all over the place. My car was ordered with the V12 interior (picnic tables, better leather) so shows as a V12 and totally the wrong gearbox (the one from the V8 model!).
I have a X306 supercharged car (the one with the IL6 NOT the V8) and the records on Jaguars Topix system are all over the place. My car was ordered with the V12 interior (picnic tables, better leather) so shows as a V12 and totally the wrong gearbox (the one from the V8 model!).
1996 Jaguar XJR6(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)
Re: V5 Log book question
Cheers Pete!
Yeah I registered for topix, what a waste of time, just said she was a V8 auto...
Yeah I registered for topix, what a waste of time, just said she was a V8 auto...
Cheers
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Re: V5 Log book question
Ok I think I solved it...
SAJ = Jaguar GB
A = auto
C = security system
15 = XJR
N = ?? Could be the type of cat/emission control
6 = simply a sum of any prior numbers..
1 = 2001 MY
M = supercharged , built at Brown’s Lane
F = XJ saloon
Xxxxx (numeric) sequence number, line
It doesn’t help that there’s different designations for USA, jap and UK/European market and therefore don’t believe or worry about all these rubbish vin finder lookup sites, often foreign, the last one brought up mine as a 3.0 V6 x-type.
I’m gonna contact Jaguar and see what they can do about it!
Cheers
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Re: V5 Log book question
Stu,
You're close!
The VIN structure changed a number of times. It was more confusing earlier when the US demanded a different system so US-bound XJSs had 2 VINs. One was the primary VIN, and then a secondary VIN just for US legislation.
Things later changed and there is a "Global VIN" structure for X308 cars.
So:
SAJ = Jaguar
A = Rest of World (incl. UK)
C = Automatic RHD
15 = SWB XJR
N = Emission level
6 = a check digit generated against previous characters
1 = 2001 MY
M= Browns Lane built AJ27 4.0 S/C engine
Characters 12-17 = sequential build number
Hope that helps
Paul
You're close!
The VIN structure changed a number of times. It was more confusing earlier when the US demanded a different system so US-bound XJSs had 2 VINs. One was the primary VIN, and then a secondary VIN just for US legislation.
Things later changed and there is a "Global VIN" structure for X308 cars.
So:
SAJ = Jaguar
A = Rest of World (incl. UK)
C = Automatic RHD
15 = SWB XJR
N = Emission level
6 = a check digit generated against previous characters
1 = 2001 MY
M= Browns Lane built AJ27 4.0 S/C engine
Characters 12-17 = sequential build number
Hope that helps
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: V5 Log book question
Ah that makes sense too.. and the “F” at the end is purely a sequential purpose?
I just wonder if there’s anything that confirms what “MB” means at the start of the engine number?
My engine MB010521**** , I guess 21/05/2001 but what’s MB ?
I only guess the “M” may correspond to the “M” in the vin that designates the SC supercharged?
“B” browns Lane?
I just wonder if there’s anything that confirms what “MB” means at the start of the engine number?
My engine MB010521**** , I guess 21/05/2001 but what’s MB ?
I only guess the “M” may correspond to the “M” in the vin that designates the SC supercharged?
“B” browns Lane?
Cheers
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Re: V5 Log book question
Stu,
The "F" in position 12 is an indicator of the "model within the year" prior to a straight sequential 5-digit production number.
As regards the engine, the MB is a build sequence narrative followed by a date and time digital sequence. So, you're correct, your engine was assembled on 21st May 2001. And the next digits are the hour and time on 25th May.
I'm sure you know this, but your engine was originally assembled before midnight on 31st August. So it would have had Gen II part-plastic tensioners. If they haven't already been replaced by all-metal Gen III tensioners, do it tomorrow!!
PAul
The "F" in position 12 is an indicator of the "model within the year" prior to a straight sequential 5-digit production number.
As regards the engine, the MB is a build sequence narrative followed by a date and time digital sequence. So, you're correct, your engine was assembled on 21st May 2001. And the next digits are the hour and time on 25th May.
I'm sure you know this, but your engine was originally assembled before midnight on 31st August. So it would have had Gen II part-plastic tensioners. If they haven't already been replaced by all-metal Gen III tensioners, do it tomorrow!!
PAul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: V5 Log book question
Cheers Paul!!
I wonder why Jaguar do not tell us what the version and variant sections on our V5s relate to.
Like “5AB2” as a variant and “5DDD etc version
That would make it so much easier!
I wonder why Jaguar do not tell us what the version and variant sections on our V5s relate to.
Like “5AB2” as a variant and “5DDD etc version
That would make it so much easier!
Cheers
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Re: V5 Log book question
I did actually get a letter from Jaguar confirming the records are now correct... 
Cheers
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Stu
Jaguar XJR 4.0SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380 2014
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Ford Capri Cosworth 2.9i 1985
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
