lets not forget, that each car has its own history after leaving the factory ,
no production 3.2 or 4ltr AJ26 or AJ27 engine had the metal tensioners , these were only fitted to the new 4.2 engines onwards,
this does not mean that somewhere in its life, for whatever reason they may have been fitted by an owner, just as I did to my 1999 4ltr car around ten years ago , or a garage instructed by an owner , again , for what ever reason ,
only answer is to take off the covers and visually check them out, if no the latest metal ones, then you would be foolish to leave the early type in there
just my opinion
BB
Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
And very valuable opinion it is too. Without the knowledge in here I might've carried on driving this later engine-numbered XJ8 due to my other having an earlier engine number but with tensioner changed out for metal.
Saw the removed two tensioners when I collected last week. Both had green plastic, both had entire lengthwise cracks.
OK, I'm £460 lighter. But with the other bits and pieces done only brings the total cost up to still less than what the market's asking now for a X308 3.2L XJ8 without any of the necessaries done --
Car & Classic lists '00 to '02MY between £2,450 and £5,000; Classic Cars for Sale lists just two: an '01MY £6,000 (47k, one owner) and a £3,000.
BTW there's two 4L at £4,000 and £5,750 askings
Saw the removed two tensioners when I collected last week. Both had green plastic, both had entire lengthwise cracks.
OK, I'm £460 lighter. But with the other bits and pieces done only brings the total cost up to still less than what the market's asking now for a X308 3.2L XJ8 without any of the necessaries done --
Car & Classic lists '00 to '02MY between £2,450 and £5,000; Classic Cars for Sale lists just two: an '01MY £6,000 (47k, one owner) and a £3,000.
BTW there's two 4L at £4,000 and £5,750 askings
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
i don't spend money on my car in relation to market value, i do the work for a safe reliable vehicle,
and bear in mind, a car that could cost three times what you deem yours to be worth ,but could ( and probably does ) still need all the above work being carried out
eyes wide open as they say
BB
and bear in mind, a car that could cost three times what you deem yours to be worth ,but could ( and probably does ) still need all the above work being carried out
eyes wide open as they say
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
+1 on that. I've got two XJ8 both '01MY. One had metal timing chain tensioners (confirmed by HyperXJ in Thame) And the other with a much later engine number didn't -- which cost £400-odd to change -- the mechanic showed me the old ones that had their green plastic both split down the centre. So were both waiting to give way.
He explained that my first must've been previously owned by an enthusiast that'd had the tensioners done as only the very last (?) of the production run had had the later tensioners fitted -- the '02MY
There's an article in the current edition of Jaguar Enthusiast all about the X308 evolution -- but neglects to mention the tensioners' issue. Good read all the same
He explained that my first must've been previously owned by an enthusiast that'd had the tensioners done as only the very last (?) of the production run had had the later tensioners fitted -- the '02MY
There's an article in the current edition of Jaguar Enthusiast all about the X308 evolution -- but neglects to mention the tensioners' issue. Good read all the same
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
Hi
I know this a completed post butI came across it in a Google search for something else so please accept my apologies if it upsets someone
My experience is as follows. I purchased a 1996 XK8 with an Genuine Jaguar Replacement Engine (or so it says on the engine plate).
I called the garage where the work was carried out but they couldnt confirm if the tensioners had been replaced which was carried out in 2004. They could tell me everything else that had been done over the years except that information.
I then contacted Jaguar and they asked me to email the information but did say they didnt really know.
Then followed very lengthy emails where I pointed out theyshould know this info as it was a known fault and what was the point of fitting tensioners that were know to fail on a replacement engine which was asking for it to fail again only to save a few pennies.
They refused to contribute towards me having the tensioners changed if they were needed.
In the end after checking the tensioners were the original MK 1's.! Jaguar only changed the block for another Nikasil block which had steel liners fitted. Any other 'ancillaries' which included tensioners, original water pump etc were just put back on the engine, waiting for them to go pear shaped and any cost would then need to be borne by the owner, or of course the vehicle was scrapped
Not their finest hour.
It still annoys me to this day but please accept my apologies as this thread was finished
Kind regards
Si
I know this a completed post butI came across it in a Google search for something else so please accept my apologies if it upsets someone
My experience is as follows. I purchased a 1996 XK8 with an Genuine Jaguar Replacement Engine (or so it says on the engine plate).
I called the garage where the work was carried out but they couldnt confirm if the tensioners had been replaced which was carried out in 2004. They could tell me everything else that had been done over the years except that information.
I then contacted Jaguar and they asked me to email the information but did say they didnt really know.
Then followed very lengthy emails where I pointed out theyshould know this info as it was a known fault and what was the point of fitting tensioners that were know to fail on a replacement engine which was asking for it to fail again only to save a few pennies.
They refused to contribute towards me having the tensioners changed if they were needed.
In the end after checking the tensioners were the original MK 1's.! Jaguar only changed the block for another Nikasil block which had steel liners fitted. Any other 'ancillaries' which included tensioners, original water pump etc were just put back on the engine, waiting for them to go pear shaped and any cost would then need to be borne by the owner, or of course the vehicle was scrapped
Not their finest hour.
It still annoys me to this day but please accept my apologies as this thread was finished
Kind regards
Si
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
Perspectives are valuable and stories such as this enable us to form a historical picture of the practices employed at the time. Even fifteen years after the event, the information is useful to have logged.
Mike K
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Timing Chain Tensioner
Following on your everyone’s posting here, I am in a dilemma. I have a 1999 3.2L XJ8. I have no service history of the car, except I am aware it has only covered 60,000 miles (guaranteed) since 1999. My thoughts are that it is more likely it has the original tensioners. I have not heard any noises from the engine, that may suggest issues with the plastic tensioners, but read the various reports of them breaking. I feel I must get them check and if plastic, changed. I have spoken to an independent Jaguar mechanic and he suggests I just change to upper tensioners only, not the belt or lower tensioners. I would welcome comments from other members on this forum.
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
An urgent need to inspect and confirm one way or the other. You should have seen the cracks in my MY02 S-type V8 tensioners at just 44K miles...... Just waiting to let go and tackled in the very nick of time. Failure is sometimes not always signified by the precursor to failure, namely front end rattle.
The lower primary tensioner and slipper plate doesn`t usually give many issues. The tensioner has a habit of sticking due to engine goo which may stop it expanding to the next ratchet notch. Despite the possibility of a couple of cracks appearing in that lower long arm unit, they seem to soldier on despite these defects.
Mike K
The lower primary tensioner and slipper plate doesn`t usually give many issues. The tensioner has a habit of sticking due to engine goo which may stop it expanding to the next ratchet notch. Despite the possibility of a couple of cracks appearing in that lower long arm unit, they seem to soldier on despite these defects.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
Doug,
You undoubtedly need to get the top ones checked and changed immediately if not the all-metal type. As regards, the lowers: I would definitely do them also, particularly if you're going to run the car a while longer. If you're just doing it up to sell, then maybe leave the bottom as it's the proof of the top change that will really affect the sale and price.
Good luck
Paul
You undoubtedly need to get the top ones checked and changed immediately if not the all-metal type. As regards, the lowers: I would definitely do them also, particularly if you're going to run the car a while longer. If you're just doing it up to sell, then maybe leave the bottom as it's the proof of the top change that will really affect the sale and price.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: Tensioner type on year 2004 replacement engine?
Thanks Paul & Mark for your comments. I have ordered the tensioners and the gaskets and seals. Just need to book it in now.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

