Cold start issues

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford
Cold start issues

Postby DougX » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi, Can anyone give me advise on issues experienced on my newly acquired 1999 X308. When cold it cough's and splutters and appears not to run on all cylinders. Within 3 - 4 minutes its warmed up enough to run perfectly well. No codes are shown on the display to indicate issues. Also, I have noticed a strong smell of petrol. Not sure if this has any bearing on the matter. Anyone had this experience and if so, is there a cure?

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Cold start issues

Postby RichardSEL » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:33 pm

No strong smells of petrol on my XJ8 3.2L -- but on both my Exec and Sport experienced poor starting when cold in the mornings outside parked. Eventually they got better with last summer's sun. Found that the Coolant Temperature Sensor on both had either aged or was intermittent. I changed the Sport's first and that appeared to cure.

I then had one episode on the Sport which, after I'd cleaned the throttle body butterfly edges, the fault went completely. I've since sold that car.

On the Exec it was more severe leading to no cold start at all. I put the slightly lesser performace from the Exec against the Sport down to differing spec -- the Sport had previously been owned by an enthusiast and was chipped.
However, one late Sunday afternoon in a faraway (well 12 miles from home) supermarket car park it just wouldn't fire. Squirting Quick Start up the inlet manifold caused it to fire then die. Until on the fourth or fifth attempt I managed to catch it on the throttle and waited for warm up. The Exec had by this time already had its CTS sensor changed. So, I got it home, switched off, switched on again and it started straight away. But waiting a minute and it wouldn't start at all apart from the Quick Start method.

Eventually my local older-Jags' guru had a cancellation so he came out and took it back to his works on back of low loader. But not before he asked me to check there was a decent fuel feed, suspecting either fuel pump (in fuel tank so can't changeout without ramp), or fuel filter (can be reached, adjacted to diff)

For the CTS change out not difficult on the AJV8, see my pix/diag at: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=12428 iCarsoft 930 does'nt report sensor failure...

For the low / intermittent fuel supply see: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=12428&p=73274&hili ... ump#p73274 Requires you to loosen Shraeder valve on the fuel inlet pipe with a tyre valve driver and watch whether you get a spurt of fuel when you try to start. I didn't so said guru changed both pump (awful job IMO) and filter

Both faults gave misfiring until warm up. Best I can do for now. Let us know how you get on?
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford

Re: Cold start issues

Postby DougX » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks Richard. I will try replacing the coolant sensor first and see how it goes. Having looked on SNG Barratt’s website and British Car Parts, I am getting different parts on the same Part Number. SNG are indicating a Washer Fluid Sensor (LNA5740AB) and BCP are showing the same Part Number as Coolant Level Switch. Confused! Can you confirm either if this is the right product code and if so, which one it should be. Many thanks. Doug

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Cold start issues

Postby RichardSEL » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:56 am

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=12428&p=68866&hili ... sor#p68866

Hope that helps -- get from main dealer -- it's marked "Made in Japan".
So must be OK :P
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford

Re: Cold start issues

Postby DougX » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Found the problem! As indicated, the car smelt of fuel most of the time. Having had the car on a ramp and checking all the fuels pipes, I discovered they were all OK. I then checked under the bonnet and traced the fuel lines into the injectors. While looking at illustrations of the fuel route, I looked more closely at the fuel pressure regulator. Turning the engine on showed a leak straight away, so I now know what the issue is and a new fuel pressure regulator is on order!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests