I am carrying out a full service on my car, oil and filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter. Should I flush the engine out or just drain and fill with new oil and filter.
I am being told two different pieces of advice, one to flush the other not to flush.
Would appreciate JEC members comments please.
Many thanks
Joseph
XJ8 (X308) Jaguar Sovereign LWB
1999 - Prins LPG Conversion. Blue.
184,000
To flush or not to flush
Re: To flush or not to flush
My own method of oil changing is to let it drain overnight and refill the following day or even later - not always convenient with a vehicle in constant use. I have not flushed any engine in more than 50 years of motoring. I can see the idea behind flushing but have always thought there might be a small risk of dislodging some debris which has been happily sitting in a corner somewhere for years.
With any yes or no answer to a question, there will always be two camps - as we know only too well at the moment!
With your mileage I would just change oil and filter a bit more regularly, especially if you are not sure how often it’s been done in the past.
Sorry to appear to sit on the fence but it really is your considered decision which is important.
Ian
With any yes or no answer to a question, there will always be two camps - as we know only too well at the moment!
With your mileage I would just change oil and filter a bit more regularly, especially if you are not sure how often it’s been done in the past.
Sorry to appear to sit on the fence but it really is your considered decision which is important.
Ian
1989 XJ-S V12 Convertible
Previous:
2000 Daimler Super V8 Anthracite with Ivory leather
1984 4.2 Series 3
1984 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1988 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1985 XJ-SC 3.6 Cabriolet built from new shell and donor write off - owned 24 years
Previous:
2000 Daimler Super V8 Anthracite with Ivory leather
1984 4.2 Series 3
1984 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1988 V12 Series 3 Sovereign
1985 XJ-SC 3.6 Cabriolet built from new shell and donor write off - owned 24 years
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: To flush or not to flush
With 184k up I would flush.
Had good experience with engine de-contamination treatment by EDT at Powerbase in Ashford, Kent.
EDT has agents around the country.
Checkout thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12498
Sold the car since (an '01MY Sport) with 143k up. Now have Exec as my daily, Oil appears to stay remarkably clean
so dunno if previous owner had done a flush treatment
Refill with fully synthetic
Had good experience with engine de-contamination treatment by EDT at Powerbase in Ashford, Kent.
EDT has agents around the country.
Checkout thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12498
Sold the car since (an '01MY Sport) with 143k up. Now have Exec as my daily, Oil appears to stay remarkably clean
so dunno if previous owner had done a flush treatment
Refill with fully synthetic
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: To flush or not to flush
Gentlemen
Thank you very much for your advice, as you said bit like Brexit, there are two camps.
Will keep you updated with the outcome.
Many thanks once again for your prompt advice.
Cheers
Joseph
Thank you very much for your advice, as you said bit like Brexit, there are two camps.
Will keep you updated with the outcome.
Many thanks once again for your prompt advice.
Cheers
Joseph
Re: To flush or not to flush
Just one more thought. In all honesty I don’t see that much value in flushing as long as an engine has had regular oil changes. And possible even more important, also the oil filters were regularly replaced.
So if you are buying a second hand car and you have no idea how long the oil/filter have been in there, it might be an idea to flush, just as a pre-caution.
The other time you really might want to consider flushing is when you change from a mineral or a semi-synthetic to a full synthetic oil.
Full synthetic oil are likely to to dissolve any and all debris that has collected and got stuck here and there in your engine. As long as it stays stuck it isn’t really a problem. But with the full synthetic it will become dislodged.
Or instead of a flush, just run it only say 1000 miles and give it another oil/filter change. By then your engine will be thoroughly clean.
I do all my oil changes on all my cars myself. One of them is a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider. I always run it on just mineral oil, which is in accordance with the original Alfa Spider recommendations. Half a year ago it had to go for its MOT. And as I did not have time, I asked them to change the oil and filter. They put fully synthetic oil in and a new filter. I opened up the filter after 500 miles
Look at some of this debris that had already collected:
So if you are buying a second hand car and you have no idea how long the oil/filter have been in there, it might be an idea to flush, just as a pre-caution.
The other time you really might want to consider flushing is when you change from a mineral or a semi-synthetic to a full synthetic oil.
Full synthetic oil are likely to to dissolve any and all debris that has collected and got stuck here and there in your engine. As long as it stays stuck it isn’t really a problem. But with the full synthetic it will become dislodged.
Or instead of a flush, just run it only say 1000 miles and give it another oil/filter change. By then your engine will be thoroughly clean.
I do all my oil changes on all my cars myself. One of them is a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider. I always run it on just mineral oil, which is in accordance with the original Alfa Spider recommendations. Half a year ago it had to go for its MOT. And as I did not have time, I asked them to change the oil and filter. They put fully synthetic oil in and a new filter. I opened up the filter after 500 miles
Look at some of this debris that had already collected:
Re: To flush or not to flush
Thanks for your advice. I have now changed the oil and filter, rather than flush. I will change the oil and filter as you recommend after 1,000 miles.
Cheers
Joseph
Cheers
Joseph
- RichardSEL
- Posts:845
- Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm
Re: To flush or not to flush
Well, I didn't know thatThe other time you really might want to consider flushing is when you change from a mineral or a semi-synthetic to a full synthetic oil.
Full synthetic oil are likely to to dissolve any and all debris that has collected and got stuck here and there in your engine. As long as it stays stuck it isn’t really a problem. But with the full synthetic it will become dislodged.
Or instead of a flush, just run it only say 1000 miles and give it another oil/filter change. By then your engine will be thoroughly clean.
I do all my oil changes on all my cars myself. One of them is a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider. I always run it on just mineral oil, which is in accordance with the original Alfa Spider recommendations. Half a year ago it had to go for its MOT. And as I did not have time, I asked them to change the oil and filter. They put fully synthetic oil in and a new filter. I opened up the filter after 500 miles
Look at some of this debris that had already collected:
P6293867.jpg
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L
Re: To flush or not to flush
Thanks again for your advice, decide not flush the engine but to change the oil and filter again after 1,000.
Cheers
Cheers
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
