My X308, MY2000, 3.2 Ltre has an engine number that does not appear to relate to the conventional series of numbers showing the time and date of manufacture. Could it be a replacement for the dreaded Nikasil problems although the time of registration seems to indicate that the Nikasil problem had by then been addressed with the reduced sulphur content .
The vehicle was first registered on 1st September 2000.
Current engine number is KCAB 060442.
I can find no evidence of an engine change, the original service book had been replaced which does make me a little suspicious.
Anyone have any ideas, am I being over concerned, just like to know.
The VIN is SAJAC13D3YKF19323 which does indicate a Nikasil engine if other posts and Jaguar promulgations are to be believed.
geo912
Engine Numbers
Re: Engine Numbers
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Engine Numbers
Thank you Mike for your speedy response the articles were worth reading.
I have had the X308 since January 2005 completing 34000 miles, with the total mileage now at 83000.I hope I am not tempting fate by commenting that in that time I have had no serious engine problems except the initial flooding by switching off after driving out of the garage, an incident I have not repeated.
The engine fires first time every time, uses no oil between changes, doesn't smoke, pulls very well and in general I have been very pleased with it overall performance, recently cleaned the throttle body, although it wasn't really necessary, no fouling of airways etc, so all in all it has not been a problem.
My enquiry was to find out if possible if the engine is original...Iv'e looked for a tag in the usual place behind the throttle body...there's none.
Previous owner not responsive, bought the car from Arun..no help there.
geo.
I have had the X308 since January 2005 completing 34000 miles, with the total mileage now at 83000.I hope I am not tempting fate by commenting that in that time I have had no serious engine problems except the initial flooding by switching off after driving out of the garage, an incident I have not repeated.
The engine fires first time every time, uses no oil between changes, doesn't smoke, pulls very well and in general I have been very pleased with it overall performance, recently cleaned the throttle body, although it wasn't really necessary, no fouling of airways etc, so all in all it has not been a problem.
My enquiry was to find out if possible if the engine is original...Iv'e looked for a tag in the usual place behind the throttle body...there's none.
Previous owner not responsive, bought the car from Arun..no help there.
geo.
Re: Engine Numbers
Have a look on this BB under the engine section. Open "Nicasil engines, which ones are at risk?".
You will find a listing of engine numbers which may be of use to you.
Mike
You will find a listing of engine numbers which may be of use to you.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Engine Numbers
Thanks again Mike,
I have trawled the Nikasil information in the past and according to the information my car was considered low risk according to the VIN, my only concern has been wether the engine in situ is the original as the number shown on registration documents does not appear to correspond with given numbers.
Not really much of an issue as the engine performs satisfactorarily, just a need to know.
Again many thanks for your input.
geo.
I have trawled the Nikasil information in the past and according to the information my car was considered low risk according to the VIN, my only concern has been wether the engine in situ is the original as the number shown on registration documents does not appear to correspond with given numbers.
Not really much of an issue as the engine performs satisfactorarily, just a need to know.
Again many thanks for your input.
geo.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
