Tales of windscreen woe, and fixing wiper alignment
Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:22 pm
Hi chaps,
Just to make you shed a tear, a couple of months ago I had to have my heated windscreen removed to allow some rust on the A pillar to be dealt with. Given that I could get a new screen for only £75 insurance excess and only around half the elements worked, I went for it. Given recent weather, it turned out to be a great decision.
Lo and behold, a week ago I noticed a three inch (7.5cm in case there are any youngsters reading this!) crack in front of the steering wheel. Thinking it must be a stress crack, I called out AutoWindscreens and they spotted a stone chip in the area = impact damage = another screen if you please. Wallet another £75 lighter but such is life...
However, when driving the car, I noticed the wiper blade and normally I don't. So I went online and looked at a few pics and confirmed that the guy has replaced the wiper arm at the wrong angle, so that the tip of the blade is 2+ inches distant from the scuttle rather than parallel to the bottom of the screen.
I did a search and spotted this from Brakebuster which tells me it is a simple thing even a bumbling amateur like me can fix so I don't need to get AutoWotsits out again to do it for me:
"removal is easy, lift the nut cover on the wiper, undo the 17mm nut and pull of the wiper arm, while unplugging the washer hose ".
I take it I'm ok to get my spanners out then... unless someone tells me otherwise.
Nigel
Just to make you shed a tear, a couple of months ago I had to have my heated windscreen removed to allow some rust on the A pillar to be dealt with. Given that I could get a new screen for only £75 insurance excess and only around half the elements worked, I went for it. Given recent weather, it turned out to be a great decision.
Lo and behold, a week ago I noticed a three inch (7.5cm in case there are any youngsters reading this!) crack in front of the steering wheel. Thinking it must be a stress crack, I called out AutoWindscreens and they spotted a stone chip in the area = impact damage = another screen if you please. Wallet another £75 lighter but such is life...
However, when driving the car, I noticed the wiper blade and normally I don't. So I went online and looked at a few pics and confirmed that the guy has replaced the wiper arm at the wrong angle, so that the tip of the blade is 2+ inches distant from the scuttle rather than parallel to the bottom of the screen.
I did a search and spotted this from Brakebuster which tells me it is a simple thing even a bumbling amateur like me can fix so I don't need to get AutoWotsits out again to do it for me:
"removal is easy, lift the nut cover on the wiper, undo the 17mm nut and pull of the wiper arm, while unplugging the washer hose ".
I take it I'm ok to get my spanners out then... unless someone tells me otherwise.
Nigel