New owner

Moderators:robv12, DavidEm

Briggers
Posts:2
Joined:Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:33 pm
New owner

Postby Briggers » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi all, I have been lucky enough to find a beautiful low mileage X308 XJ Sport (33k) in Aspen Pearl Metallic adorned with vertually unused oatmeal leather. I have owned one of these before but had issues with starting and decided that in this day and age we shouldn’t be putting up with such things. IMHO. I sold too cheap to just get rid so didn’t really grow to love it’s smooth opulence and cosseting. Now having driven this model (sport) for a month as a daily, as opposed to the regular, I am hugely impressed. Handling is better with the sport package and better manners all round. I have a few clear coat issues as it has been laid up under a car cover for 3 years and some minor dents in strange places. It has almost spotless 17” celtic alloys and what look like original Pirelli’s on the rear. On a negative note the interior has a smell to it that only comes with locking it away in a garage and forgetting it. A real mouldy smell that I am having trouble getting rid of. I think it has impregnated the seats, the leather smell is no more and all the cleaning, freshening, air freshening, purging systems has not cured it ! Let’s hope that time and use will cure it. Has anyone else had this mouldy smell issue as I could do with a few new ideas.
Attachments
6D881785-CEBC-4223-9FD9-5A567C171F2A.jpeg

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: New owner

Postby RichardSEL » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:53 am

Hello and welcome to the forum :wink: Had an '01MY Sport as my first X308 followed by a 4L LWB with all the toys, followed by a plain 3.2L. I really did like them. And, even though having had three hanker after another but this time an X351 -- virtually same shape but with an extra gear and alu body and probably the 4.2L. Nevertheless, the X308 still offers great value so long as the corrosion areas are checked (rear sub frame and spring mounts at all four corners) And pre-01MY models are avoided to avoid the Nikasil cylinder liner risk!

I never had the smell but would look at cabin filter. Does the smell increase or decrease when you have outside air flow on or off? Previous keeper a smoker? Only 33k miles won't necessarily affect the effect -- all mine were '01MY all over 110k, so age and mileage of filter (unless all of mine were changed during previous keepers' main dealer services) should'nt be an issue either in my experience. Still worth eliminating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-ngCM2Yv8
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

Briggers
Posts:2
Joined:Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Re: New owner

Postby Briggers » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi Richard, the prices seem to be rising for these looking at all the cars available. Considering what you get and how they drive and make you feel I think they are always worth a punt. Any issues can be sorted dependant on pocket, but I can’t see anything else with this cache. Smell wise, the carpets have been wet vac’d. The main carpets cleaned and vac’d with a touch of white vinegar. Doederiser used thereafter. Two cans of car bomb in a fortnight ! I will as you say look at the cabin filter. The first owner of this car was Harwoods Jaguar Chichester and then the chap I bought from who lives in Majorca and only used it when he came home, which was very rarely. It’s previous MOT was in 2016 until it’s new one on my purchase. Ashtrays untouched. It doesn’t detract from its driving pleasure but my partner says she can smell it on me as I return home. I’ll update as and when I’ve tried a few more things. TB

User avatar
RichardSEL
Posts:845
Joined:Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: New owner

Postby RichardSEL » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm

Dunno how you're getting on with this. But just looking back at my previous posts and see I've not posted complete information:
The first steel-lined cylindered AJ-V8 came off the production line in the year 2000 on August 18th at 10.43am hence the engine number will read: (year) 00 (month) 08 (day)18 (time)1043 or more precisely:
(engine type code) 0008181043.
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
Completing re-trim: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Now being re-built: '61 Mark IX with 4.2L


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest