Hello All!
I’ve recently entered the world of Jaguar ownership with a June purchase of a 1999 XJ8 (3.2L) and I love it!
Just joined the JEC too but not yet got to a meeting – based in Petersfield Hampshire I think I’m well placed for Portsmouth, West Sussex and Surrey clubs.
The car has very low mileage – 47k when purchased – and seems to be in all round good health.
I’ve had a few small(ish) jobs done on it, and covered around 2k miles of extremely enjoyable motoring.
But one job has already irked me somewhat in that the drivers side front suspension top mount was shot, the bush was firing off orange dust like no tomorrow. So that was replaced with a good order second hand one, and within 500miles that’s started to perish too.
So my first technical question to this group is what aftermarket (I guess poly-bush) front suspension top mounts have become the go-to trusted replacement items for owners of the X308?
Many thanks, Rob
New member, with a top mount question!
-
robertjhornerXJ8

- Posts:3
- Joined:Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:37 pm
- Location:Petersfield, Hampshire
Re: New member, with a top mount question!
Hi,
I've used a brand called Meley, the part comes as a whole (as in the black metal bits and the joints already assembled, see picture), so all you do is jack the car up, unbolt the old one and place the new one in, the whole process took less than 30 minutes for both sides. They were a lot cheaper than the original Jag ones and that's a job that can easily be done at home.
Hope this helps.
I've used a brand called Meley, the part comes as a whole (as in the black metal bits and the joints already assembled, see picture), so all you do is jack the car up, unbolt the old one and place the new one in, the whole process took less than 30 minutes for both sides. They were a lot cheaper than the original Jag ones and that's a job that can easily be done at home.
Hope this helps.
Re: New member, with a top mount question!
Hi Flo-90 and robertjhornerXJ8,
Firstly a warm welcome to the JEC and I'm glad your both enjoying your X308's
Flo-90,I think you might mean MEYLE.
I have heard good and bad reports on their products.
I have used their anti roll bar links with no issues.
If you have access to proper garage equipment you can just replace the bushing in the top mount,which is the same as the rear suspension top bushing
.
Take care.
Andy
Firstly a warm welcome to the JEC and I'm glad your both enjoying your X308's
Flo-90,I think you might mean MEYLE.
I have heard good and bad reports on their products.
I have used their anti roll bar links with no issues.
If you have access to proper garage equipment you can just replace the bushing in the top mount,which is the same as the rear suspension top bushing
Take care.
Andy
2011 X351 3.0d LWB
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Colour: Ultimate Black Metallic With Black/Ivory Piping Interia
2007 X-Type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate
Colour:Liquid Silver With Charcoal Interia
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests