I had already heard about the nikasil problems with this model and the plastic cam chain tensioners and my original plan was to find a relatively solid, lowish mileage example as my first foray into jag ownership (my uncle had a 4.0 x300 xj6 that I used to love riding around in) and I was going to get it home and replace any of the suspect parts/inspect for tensioner replacements and so on, and learn a lot about the maintenance of this car, but after being properly warmed up from cold with no audible noises, I was driving it home on cruise control at around 60-70mph, had a low oil pressure light flash up very quickly a few times before a sudden loss of power and the dashboard displaying restricted performance. There was no knocking or rattling. Cue a 3.5 hour wait on hard shoulder of the M40 for the RAC and to keep it short we didn't actually get home until the next evening. (I bought the car in London) The recovery man wanted to rule out alternator before putting the poorly jag on the truck but he said it literally zapped his battery pack dead in seconds. Have tried another battery but with no change.
The car now clicks upon ignition turn which I think means the starter solenoid is getting power, however, I have no idea how much yet. Have removed and checked state relay and others. All seem to be fine.
Need to check the battery etc. with a multimeter and do a drop test at the starter but seeing as the engine won't crank by hand and I can't for the life of me get the top bolt off of the starter motor to inspect it, I think my engine might be dead
