not many of us in here atm,
but that doesn't mean we cant have fun, lol , c'mon, lets have some posts,
i will be starting to put some things in various areas in the very near future
btw, i have a 1999 4ltr X308 Sovereign in Seafrost
BB
HELLO forum
Decisions decisions
Just joined the JEC. Recently purchased 1998 4.0 V8 Sovereign LWB. Only 61k on clock with FJSH. Amazing car, fantastic ride, bodywork and interior great but what problems (if any) lay under that bonnet! Maybe I've read too much about errant timing chains/tensioners and Nikisil failures! Maybe there's absolutely nothing to worry about! Any thoughts out there on whether I should consider having these replaced?
The service history reveals that the car did 40K in its first three years (presumably Jaguar Cars Ltd owned) and only 20K in the last six years.
The service history reveals that the car did 40K in its first three years (presumably Jaguar Cars Ltd owned) and only 20K in the last six years.
-
paulbarrie
- Posts:32
- Joined:Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:14 pm
- Location:Kenton, Middx.
XJ8 Seminar (May 2007)
Was I pleased that I went to the XJ8 Seminar last May? You bet!
During April my vehicle was serviced by an Independent Jaguar specialist who also replaced front discs and pads and a bit of other work. A couple of weeks before the service, the engine warning light had come on and I asked them to check it out. They carried out a diagnostic check for which I was charged £65 + VAT. They reported a fault code P0420 which meant that I needed a new catalytic converter for bank 1 which would be £550 for the part plus about an hour's labour if all went well. Thank god I didn't get the work done.
As mentioned I attended the seminar which was very enjoyable with a good question/answer session where we all seemed to have similar issues to raise, followed by a very entertaining talk by Jason Dawe on how to go about buying/selling a car. We then split into groups; the first of which I attended was how to change the top timing chain tensioners. Which looked fairly straight forward whilst the engine was on a stand and easily accessible. However, after lifting the bonnet of my car to have a look, and also bearing in mind that I haven't lifted a spanner in earnest for approx 25 years, I think I'll get it done by someone who knows what their doing.
We then had our vehicles connected up to a diagnostic computer and guess what? I don't need a new catalytic converter after all and that the problem could just have been that one of the sensors throwing up a faulty reading.
How can we rely on what we are being told by the people that maintain our cars when we get such differing results?
I'm going to believe what I was told at the seminar and save myself about £650. Not bad when it only cost £50 to attend a very entertaining seminar, get fed very well and have an enjoyable day all round.
Many thanks to all those concerned in organising and presenting the event.
During April my vehicle was serviced by an Independent Jaguar specialist who also replaced front discs and pads and a bit of other work. A couple of weeks before the service, the engine warning light had come on and I asked them to check it out. They carried out a diagnostic check for which I was charged £65 + VAT. They reported a fault code P0420 which meant that I needed a new catalytic converter for bank 1 which would be £550 for the part plus about an hour's labour if all went well. Thank god I didn't get the work done.
As mentioned I attended the seminar which was very enjoyable with a good question/answer session where we all seemed to have similar issues to raise, followed by a very entertaining talk by Jason Dawe on how to go about buying/selling a car. We then split into groups; the first of which I attended was how to change the top timing chain tensioners. Which looked fairly straight forward whilst the engine was on a stand and easily accessible. However, after lifting the bonnet of my car to have a look, and also bearing in mind that I haven't lifted a spanner in earnest for approx 25 years, I think I'll get it done by someone who knows what their doing.
We then had our vehicles connected up to a diagnostic computer and guess what? I don't need a new catalytic converter after all and that the problem could just have been that one of the sensors throwing up a faulty reading.
How can we rely on what we are being told by the people that maintain our cars when we get such differing results?
I'm going to believe what I was told at the seminar and save myself about £650. Not bad when it only cost £50 to attend a very entertaining seminar, get fed very well and have an enjoyable day all round.
Many thanks to all those concerned in organising and presenting the event.
Fault P040
With regard to the XJ8 seminar. I have tried to get to it for two years running now but on both occasions when the seminar came up, I was otherwise engaged, I hope there is another one next year. I have heard nothing but praise for it.
I bought my XJ8 sport from a Jaguar main dealer. While still under warranty my engine warning light came on and I took the car back to the garage. I was offered a cup of coffee and biscuits while my car was taken away for diagnostics. A guy came back to me after a few minutes and said that he had taken off the warning light. He said that it was a false alarm from one of the catalytic converters and that this often happens on XJ's and XK's. I asked if he could alter the warning set point but he said he could not do that.
Since that time the engine warning light has come on twice. After a week or so it goes out again. This is ok but supposing something else goes wrong with the engine and I wait a few weeks for it to go out!!!
Tony Frost
I bought my XJ8 sport from a Jaguar main dealer. While still under warranty my engine warning light came on and I took the car back to the garage. I was offered a cup of coffee and biscuits while my car was taken away for diagnostics. A guy came back to me after a few minutes and said that he had taken off the warning light. He said that it was a false alarm from one of the catalytic converters and that this often happens on XJ's and XK's. I asked if he could alter the warning set point but he said he could not do that.
Since that time the engine warning light has come on twice. After a week or so it goes out again. This is ok but supposing something else goes wrong with the engine and I wait a few weeks for it to go out!!!
Tony Frost
-
turkeybill
- Posts:13
- Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:18 pm
Engine management lights
I read your post Paulbarrie regarding your experience with your garage when the mangement lamp came on.
I go to a really great garage, I think, but I have had a conversation in the past about these lamps. I was told in laymans terms, that these lamps are designed to work like our brains. The ECU would store a fault and turn on the light to let us know a fault had occurred. Sometimes the lamp would flash once or many times or stay on and each stage indicated the seriousness of the fault. However, in all cases my garage cleans down the ECU to see if the fault reoccurs. It was explained to me that because sensors and wiring get dirty, sometimes they will lodge a fault even though it is probably nothing to worry about. However, I have not had this problem yet on my XJR so I am not familiar with the way the lamp works on Jags.
I was glad to hear this as in your case it would help to diagnose a fault or not and that in turn is the difference in spending a lot of money or not. My garage charges £60 per hour and £45 for a diagnostic check. I am very glad that they tell the truth rather than coerse people in to costly repairs.
I go to a really great garage, I think, but I have had a conversation in the past about these lamps. I was told in laymans terms, that these lamps are designed to work like our brains. The ECU would store a fault and turn on the light to let us know a fault had occurred. Sometimes the lamp would flash once or many times or stay on and each stage indicated the seriousness of the fault. However, in all cases my garage cleans down the ECU to see if the fault reoccurs. It was explained to me that because sensors and wiring get dirty, sometimes they will lodge a fault even though it is probably nothing to worry about. However, I have not had this problem yet on my XJR so I am not familiar with the way the lamp works on Jags.
I was glad to hear this as in your case it would help to diagnose a fault or not and that in turn is the difference in spending a lot of money or not. My garage charges £60 per hour and £45 for a diagnostic check. I am very glad that they tell the truth rather than coerse people in to costly repairs.
Good garages
Bill just the thing we are looking for, if you want to put your "good garage" details in the forum we want any garage where members have personally had good service for a fair price. The address, the postcode and the general region where the garage exists, if possible the hourly rate too.........a list and possible booklet is being compiled for members via Admin and the JEC for members to carry around. Yours sounds like he is what we need with the right equipment. Joe 
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
