Page 1 of 1

Reproof convertible hood

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:35 pm
by svk123
Hi,
I have a 1998 XK8 convertible, green with a green roof, which I have owned for around 20 years.
The hood has been cleaned but needs reproofing. My local valet company (highly professional) say they can do it for £40 using Auto Glym and it will last around 6 months. Alternatively, a local trimming company (highly professional) can do it for £125 using Fabsil but they don't know how long it will last. Both companies say they have been using their recommended product for years with no complaints.

My XK is mainly kept in a garage but it is in regular use so does get left out in the rain sometimes.

I would prefer to using a longer lasting reproof but I have seen some reports that Fabsil can damage the rubber lining in the roof.
Using Autoglym would be cheaper but do I really need to get it done twice a year?
Has anyone had any experience of either of these products and which would you recommend?
Thanks,
Stuart

Re: Reproof convertible hood

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:23 am
by mike020150
Modern hood materials are pretty good at keeping the weather out. I've run Jaguar convertibles for the past 30 years (mainly garaged) and only found it necessary to reproof the hoods every 2/3 years using the usual range of proprietary hood proofing products. Many years ago, I did use Fabsil on my XJ-S cabriolet without any adverse effects on the seals but it has to be said that XK8 seals are a softer material and may possibly be more vulnerable to chemical damage. Mike.

Re: Reproof convertible hood

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:43 pm
by JimMann
This is a very simple and DIY process that can be undertaken by most folks. There was an article on Modern XK hood proofing in the September 2020 JE magazine, see Page 71. You will find back issues of the magazine on the website, or click this link below to get there:

https://jec.org.uk/magazine/vol-36-no-09

Jim Mann

Re: Reproof convertible hood

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:37 pm
by andypryce
Agree with Jim, pretty easy job, John on 'To The Garage' describes it well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMvEZIisr9I

Re: Reproof convertible hood

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:37 pm
by ptjs1
Stuart,

Of those two, I've used Fabsil on a number of cars, tents etc. It's comparatively very cheap. But I think that Renovo's products are better.

It's really important to get the roof really clean before you reproof it. My preferred products are the Renovo ones. They do a cleaner, a proofer and also recolourants. See their website below and then look in all the usual places to get the best prices.

https://www.renovointernational.com/

Seriously, 15 mins to clean it. Let it dry, then follow the instructions and apply the proofer. A really, really easy job. You'll save a lot of money!

Good luck

Paul

Re: Reproof convertible hood

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:18 pm
by svk123
Dear all,
Thank you so much for your responses to my post and your excellent advice. Much appreciated.
I have now posted another question about replacing the windscreen........
Best regards,
Stuart