X150 Convertible Wet Seat Belt
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:35 am
I have searched various forums regarding wet seat belts but nothing seems to match the issue I think I have, so apologies if I've missed it! Also, this is my first time use of the Forum which has helped with previous faulty earth point on drivers side headlight so really great resource and also purchased this car through the clubs classified adds!
I have a 2007 X150 XKR Convertible that lives outside all year round. When it rains a lot I have found that the drivers side seat belt is wet which affects the section of the belt that would normally be hidden from view. The passenger side is completely dry.
After some investigation I seemed to have stopped the leak by applying black insulation tape over the joint between the outer rear quarter window waist seal and the rear quarter window. Also, when I use a set of feeler gauges and check the gap between the passenger rear quarter window and its outer seal (which is fine) there is an even 0.5mm gap all the way along. When I do the same on the troublesome drivers side there is 0.1-0.2mm gap at the rear and 1.0mm gap nearest the drivers door so am thinking the water is getting in there.
Looking in the history of the car the driver side window regulator was replaced by Jaguar in 2018. I am wondering whether I need a new outer seal or whether the rear quarter window adjustment was not correctly done or disturbed during the window regulator replacement. I am assuming for now an adjustment of the rear quarter window is needed to push the window closer to the seal nearest the drivers door which would also seem to help the slight wind noise I have. If this is the case I think I can make the lateral adjustment via the rear adjuster on the bracket that holds the motor and the window.
I understand how to remove the rear seat bases (pull out) and rear seat backs (2 Torx screws and lift out) and it seems that the side panel has 4 Torx screws to remove it but some instructions seems to show part of the hood lid needs to be disconnected and am nervous of messing around with the hood!
Has anyone experience of this issue and is there an easy way of doing this adjustment without disconnecting too much? Any advice appreciated before I start taking things apart and causing more problems than needed!!
I have a 2007 X150 XKR Convertible that lives outside all year round. When it rains a lot I have found that the drivers side seat belt is wet which affects the section of the belt that would normally be hidden from view. The passenger side is completely dry.
After some investigation I seemed to have stopped the leak by applying black insulation tape over the joint between the outer rear quarter window waist seal and the rear quarter window. Also, when I use a set of feeler gauges and check the gap between the passenger rear quarter window and its outer seal (which is fine) there is an even 0.5mm gap all the way along. When I do the same on the troublesome drivers side there is 0.1-0.2mm gap at the rear and 1.0mm gap nearest the drivers door so am thinking the water is getting in there.
Looking in the history of the car the driver side window regulator was replaced by Jaguar in 2018. I am wondering whether I need a new outer seal or whether the rear quarter window adjustment was not correctly done or disturbed during the window regulator replacement. I am assuming for now an adjustment of the rear quarter window is needed to push the window closer to the seal nearest the drivers door which would also seem to help the slight wind noise I have. If this is the case I think I can make the lateral adjustment via the rear adjuster on the bracket that holds the motor and the window.
I understand how to remove the rear seat bases (pull out) and rear seat backs (2 Torx screws and lift out) and it seems that the side panel has 4 Torx screws to remove it but some instructions seems to show part of the hood lid needs to be disconnected and am nervous of messing around with the hood!
Has anyone experience of this issue and is there an easy way of doing this adjustment without disconnecting too much? Any advice appreciated before I start taking things apart and causing more problems than needed!!