X150 rear parking sensors

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

Happyhobie

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am
Location:Walsall
X150 rear parking sensors

Postby Happyhobie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:54 pm

I have a problem with the rear parking sensors on my 2009 convertible 5.0L XKR. When the car is dry the sensors work fine but when the car is wet the system sounds continuously once reverse has been engaged. The sound continues even when forward gear is engaged and until about 10mph has been reached. Can anyone help please?

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: X150 rear parking sensors

Postby JimMann » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi Happy,

You probably have a failed sensor and the trick is to find which one. Typically these sensors issue a clicking sound when activated, i.e. ignition on and reverse engaged. Safety Note; do not start the engine, that is not necessary for the test. When safe access is confirmed, you can approach the rear of the car and listen to each sensor individually, the one that isn't clicking is the one you need to investigate further or replace. There is a thread on the Jaguar Forum which you will find by clicking the following link - not overly complimentary of course.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=12088

Hoe this helps.

Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory

Happyhobie

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am
Location:Walsall

Re: X150 rear parking sensors

Postby Happyhobie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks Jim. I will give that a try and get back to you.

Happyhobie

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am
Location:Walsall

Re: X150 rear parking sensors

Postby Happyhobie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi Jim. I think all of the sensors click but as I had to listen with the engine running it was quite difficult to hear. I know this is going to be a daft question but how do you engage gear without the engine running? The gear selector does not rise until the engine is running. I can see each of the sensors picking up as I walk past the rear of the car. Again the system works as long as the car is dry.

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: X150 rear parking sensors

Postby JimMann » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 am

Hi Happy,

I understand that the gear selector rises with the ignition turned on, i.e. you should not need to start the engine.

In the worst case, if this is a wet problem, then it would sound like the damp is affecting the circuitry and that means that you are probably going to have to follow the dismantle and resistance check path as described in the Jag forum post link I sent you earlier.

Does the warning sound stop if you switch off the parking sensors at the cockpit control? If yes, then you could simply turn them off until such time as you can get a code reader to look at the stored faults.

Best Regards

Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory

Happyhobie

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am
Location:Walsall

Re: X150 rear parking sensors

Postby Happyhobie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi Jim. my gear selector does not rise unless the engine is running. I will try the strip down option.

Regards, Peter

Happyhobie

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am
Location:Walsall

Re: X150 rear parking sensors

Postby Happyhobie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Still haven't got round to strip down but as far as I am aware there is no way to switch off the parking sensors independently.

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: X150 rear parking sensors

Postby JimMann » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi Happy,

Apologies for the duff steer on the rising gear selector, I was sure it came up with ignition only, but obviously not. In my car there is a large button with a 'P' in the centre roof console, beside the hood open / close switch. The P button turns the parking sensors off if they are beeping and on if they have not activated as you manoeuvre to park.

Best Regards

Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests