Hi, I've just bought a nice xk8 but the key fob only locks the car and doesn't unlock it. Not to bothered but am concerned that as a convertible anyone can access the interior if they really try. How can I ensure the boot stays deadlocked.
Ta
Key fob
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Re: Key fob
A bit more information might help in trying to get to the bottom of this. First, maybe not essential in this case, but the Model Year and engine size (4.0 or 4.2) are always useful in using the right electrical diagrams.
Does the car both Lock (one press of fob) and Deadlock (Two presses)?
When the car is locked/deadlocked, does the boot also lock?
Will it open on the fob boot release button?
When the roof is down and the car is locked/deadlocked, will the boot open using the boot release switch on the dashboard?
Note that the boot never deadlocks. The release solenoid is just disabled when the car is locked/deadlocked.
When locked/deadlocked, will the fob unlock the car if held close to the driver's door handle or over the boot lid area?
Does the car both Lock (one press of fob) and Deadlock (Two presses)?
When the car is locked/deadlocked, does the boot also lock?
Will it open on the fob boot release button?
When the roof is down and the car is locked/deadlocked, will the boot open using the boot release switch on the dashboard?
Note that the boot never deadlocks. The release solenoid is just disabled when the car is locked/deadlocked.
When locked/deadlocked, will the fob unlock the car if held close to the driver's door handle or over the boot lid area?
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
-
jaglover842
- Posts:38
- Joined:Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am
Re: Key fob
I had a problem a while back with my key fob on the 1996 XK8. I replaced the batteries but it still would not work. Turned out the contacts were dirty.
Might be worth getting some Iso Propanol Alcohol and some cotton buds. Open up the key fob. Dirt and grease builds up on the contacts (clean the printed circuit board and rubberised contacts as well).
Another thing I did was to ensure the key was actually emitting a signal on all buttons. I think from memory it should be around 434MHz (coded). If you have a spectrum analyser, it's a really quick method to see if it is transmitting anything.
Might be worth getting some Iso Propanol Alcohol and some cotton buds. Open up the key fob. Dirt and grease builds up on the contacts (clean the printed circuit board and rubberised contacts as well).
Another thing I did was to ensure the key was actually emitting a signal on all buttons. I think from memory it should be around 434MHz (coded). If you have a spectrum analyser, it's a really quick method to see if it is transmitting anything.
1964 Mk2 3.8
1970 E-type Roadster 4.2
1979 XJS 5.3
1996 XK8 Coupe (Built 13th June 96, used as Press Car)
2010 XKR Convertible
1970 E-type Roadster 4.2
1979 XJS 5.3
1996 XK8 Coupe (Built 13th June 96, used as Press Car)
2010 XKR Convertible
Re: Key fob
Hi
Thanks guys. I've managed to get one fob to lock and unlock the car, by giving it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner. The other fob, which has new batteries fitted, doesn't do anything. Tried re programming as per utube video but still nothing. At least I have one working fob. Car is 1998, 4litre.
Thanks again
Thanks guys. I've managed to get one fob to lock and unlock the car, by giving it a good clean with electrical contact cleaner. The other fob, which has new batteries fitted, doesn't do anything. Tried re programming as per utube video but still nothing. At least I have one working fob. Car is 1998, 4litre.
Thanks again
Re: Key fob
Hi
Re reading your replies I've learnt things I didn't know. 2 presses of the fob deadlocks the car. Plus if the car is locked and someone breaks in then they cannot get into the boot by pressing the release button on the dash.i assume that's correct.
If you lock the car with the hood down I assume any movement i.e. Bird etc will set the alarm off. I'm new to this car so I may be asking silly things but would like to fully understand how the security works.
Thanks again
Mike
Re reading your replies I've learnt things I didn't know. 2 presses of the fob deadlocks the car. Plus if the car is locked and someone breaks in then they cannot get into the boot by pressing the release button on the dash.i assume that's correct.
If you lock the car with the hood down I assume any movement i.e. Bird etc will set the alarm off. I'm new to this car so I may be asking silly things but would like to fully understand how the security works.
Thanks again
Mike
Re: Key fob
Looks like you need to hunt out a handbook. About £30 on ebay. There used to be free downloads but I can't find one online at the moment! Anyone else know a source?
There's no movement sensor. The one in the overhead console detects the frequency of breaking glass so should be OK with the roof down. I don't know about the convertibles, but the coupes' alarms go off in hail or v heavy rain! There's also a tilt detector that will sound if you jack the car up when locked!
There's no movement sensor. The one in the overhead console detects the frequency of breaking glass so should be OK with the roof down. I don't know about the convertibles, but the coupes' alarms go off in hail or v heavy rain! There's also a tilt detector that will sound if you jack the car up when locked!
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Key fob
For a handbook, try contacting Andrew Swift (details in the Jaguar Enthusiast magazine). He often has material for the relatively modern ranges. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest