Headlight condensation

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

jagshield

Member
Posts:23
Joined:Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:33 pm
Headlight condensation

Postby jagshield » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm currently searching for an XK8/XKR convertible, so far without success. One thing I have noticed on my travels is how many of these cars have misted up headlight and/or rear light lens assemblies. Some can be completely fogged up all round.
Until recently, I hadn't noticed this on any car of mine, but then I always kept them in a garage. But my wife's Kuga shows mild condensation in every light assembly, and this is a brand new car parked outside.
I understand why condensation occurs, and why you are most likely to see it on a car that's been parked outside overnight in the winter. But on the XKs condensation seems a common, and excessive, feature. Is this 'normal', or a sign that the assemblies need changing?
Any advice would be welcome.

User avatar
blownaway
Posts:9
Joined:Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Headlight condensation

Postby blownaway » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:09 pm

It's a well know 'design feature'. Often worse when the lights have been on and warmed up the unit. It can be minimised by placing large silica gel sachets inside the units or drilling vent holes in the access covers.
Richard Green

I know what's wrong, and if I could find it, I'd fix it.

2004 XKR (Carbon Fibre) convertible - RG04XKR (Animal) Formerly ML54HHR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests