Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

webbsclassic907

Member
Posts:8
Joined:Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:24 am
Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Postby webbsclassic907 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:27 pm

I have been a member of the JEC for several years, but this is the first time I have posted a question here.

I recently replaced all six hydraulic hoses for the hood on my 2003 XKR. I got the hoses from www.tophydraulics.com who also rebuilt all three cylinders and the pump with new seals. They did a great job and the quality is exceptional! After installing everything, I am having the following problem:

When I push the button to close the top, it raises to the point that it touches the claw and stops. After a few seconds, it moves, it actually “snaps” further into the claw. The claw does not pull it home and complete the cycle. The rear quarter windows do not raise. The technical service Bulletin number 501–11 located at: www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XK8/501-11am.pdf (page 6 #6)
explains the sequence, but this is not happening on my car.

Prior to installing the new hydraulic hoses, I did not have this problem. However, it did have an issue with the claw not retracting, and the dash read: “hood not latched”. When the top was down. Now when I put the hood down the claw retracts properly but the dash still reads “hood not latched”.

But when raising the top prior to the new hoses, I had no problems. I cannot think of anything. I have done to change this.

The fluid level is correct and new. I have cleaned the switches and the contacts. I have been working on this for several weeks and I don’t know what else to do.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem lies?
Thank you! I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Jim Webb
USA
Jim Webb
Indiana, USA

2003 S Type R, Jaguar racing green
2003 XKR convertible, Zircon

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Postby JimMann » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:04 pm

Hi Jim, are you sure that you have bled all of the air out of the hydraulic system, which is notoriously difficult to achieve given the nature of the circuits involved? I would put money on there being air in the system, which as you know will compress and "release" when the pump stops delivering on a switch contact command.

It's a messy process, but if you have tried everything else, try bleeding the circuits one more time.

In addition, you could also try completing a full manual reset operation to ensure that all of the mechanisms are actually fully operational. Go from fully top down to fully top up, including manual operation of the latches and ensure that all messages are off. Then do the manual release and manually lower the top fully to the top down position. After which, try the button again.

Good Luck.

Jim M
Jim Mann
Banchory

webbsclassic907

Member
Posts:8
Joined:Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:24 am

Re: Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Postby webbsclassic907 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:50 pm

Jim, Thank you for your reply. I have not tried to bleed the system as I read that it is self bleeding. I will try to research this more throughly. Do you have any advice on this?

I have run the top up and down multiple times. I have also tried the manual locking of the latch. The claw will release and the top goes down as it should. The "Hood not latched" message on the dash has not disappeared no matter what I have done, top up or down.

By the way, I enjoy your column in the magazine.

Jim Webb
Jim Webb
Indiana, USA

2003 S Type R, Jaguar racing green
2003 XKR convertible, Zircon

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Postby andypryce » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:57 pm

Does sound as though the problem is with the hook, the car is not sensing that the hook has latched, I guess you have already tried pushing it down manually? Maybe just the piston that operates the latching is not fully travelling over, as I believe this is what triggers the switch to close off that circuit? But then again I may be talking rubbish..
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

webbsclassic907

Member
Posts:8
Joined:Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:24 am

Re: Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Postby webbsclassic907 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:55 am

Hi Andy:

When I put the hood down, the claw retracts and the pins extend as they should. So that tells me that the latch cylinder is working. It seems to me that this has something to do with the switch. So you may be on to something. I don't know what triggers the switch to activate when the top touches the claw as is described in the tech bulletin.

Thanks for your input.

jw
Jim Webb
Indiana, USA

2003 S Type R, Jaguar racing green
2003 XKR convertible, Zircon

Astromorg

Member
Posts:512
Joined:Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:52 pm
Location:Portsmouth/Southampton

Re: Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Postby Astromorg » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:21 pm

Can I offer you some of the hood experiences that have been collected by an avid American enthusiast and published here. There must be something useful to you surely :)

http://www.jagrepair.com/jaguarxk8xkr1997_2006.htm

And quite a lot of other handy stuff as well
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport

webbsclassic907

Member
Posts:8
Joined:Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:24 am

Re: Convertible hood not latching, Help!

Postby webbsclassic907 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:51 pm

Thank you for the link to jag repair.com. I have been using it and it is very informative.
Jim Webb
Indiana, USA

2003 S Type R, Jaguar racing green
2003 XKR convertible, Zircon


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests