Help please,
Today I moved my 1996 drivers seat forward to hoover up some grass and it stuck in the forward position its clicking and the rest of the seat moves etc but it will not move back so i took the route of removing the seat from the base which is not an easy task which now leaves the frame in position How can I now go about freeing the motor so I can remove the frame and re fix it to the base.
Drivers Seat stuck
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Drivers Seat stuck
Sorry to sound pessimistic, I had something similar happen to one of my Jaguars (not an XK/XK8). I recall that the front fixings are completely covered and inaccessible when the seat is in its most forward position. In my case, the two side rails had gone out of synch which caused the jamming. Eventually, brute force pushing the furthest forward side backwards, whilst operating the seat motor, allowed me some access to the fixings. The mechanism was already damaged beyond repair so, in my case, sacrificing the damaged component was a relatively easy decision to make. Let us know if you find a better, less brutal way. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Drivers Seat stuck
Will do Mike, What I intend to do next is to Piggy back a couple of wires direct to the pink motor wires and see if there is any movement with direct 12 volt.
will let you know if that is possible.
will let you know if that is possible.
Re: Drivers Seat stuck
Well the base is out and on the bench i tried a couple of wires directly onto the motor but it was still really stuck so I then went about finding where the front two bolts were and marked up and drilled above them with a 20mm hole cutter with a really short pilot drill attached and carefully cut a hole to see if it was possible got to the torque screw but it wouldnt move so drilled that out tapping size as well whilst I was in a drilling mood. On the tunnel side again drilled with the hole saw and that screw came out quite easily.
The frame was really tight into the transmission tunnel and that is what was holding it there is quite a bit of movement on the frame to holes and it looks like it can become slewed.
I got the frame on the bench and piggy backed two wires with a fuse to the two pink wires going to the motor and after a few tries its back working again.
Next job is to try it into position without the seat to see that it works without sticking I will leave the two wire on as I can adjust the seat back and forth even if the module isnt working it will still move back and forth.
I will then take it out re attach the seat and wires and re fix hopefully will all be up and running in a day or two.
The frame was really tight into the transmission tunnel and that is what was holding it there is quite a bit of movement on the frame to holes and it looks like it can become slewed.
I got the frame on the bench and piggy backed two wires with a fuse to the two pink wires going to the motor and after a few tries its back working again.
Next job is to try it into position without the seat to see that it works without sticking I will leave the two wire on as I can adjust the seat back and forth even if the module isnt working it will still move back and forth.
I will then take it out re attach the seat and wires and re fix hopefully will all be up and running in a day or two.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Drivers Seat stuck
Well done! It is a bit of a nightmare job, isn't it? I know the air turned blue in my garage. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Drivers Seat stuck
Its all done Mike I cant think of any more swear words I havent used.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests