Door rubber split

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford
Door rubber split

Postby DougX » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:34 am

I have a XK8 (X100) convertible I have noticed that the door rubbers have split where the window comes up.
I don’t know why this is happening as the glass seems to be rising and dropping correctly. Has anyone also experienced this? I am loathed to replace the rubber seal, if the glass is likely to do the same. Is there any cure for this?
Attachments
IMG_2459.jpeg
IMG_2460.jpeg

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: Door rubber split

Postby mike020150 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:57 am

All rubberised seals suffer from UV light deterioration, the rate of which is dependent upon their exact composition, and that's probably the case for your seal which after 20 years service has become slightly brittle before splitting. There are rubber seal treatments available which claim to slow the deterioration and keep the seals in a more supple state. Hence, it may be worth trying one to preserve the other seals on the car. I have a vague recollection that Jaguar may even have recommended using one, when the XK8 was launched, with its reliance on expensive window seals bought in from Japan. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

User avatar
DougX

Member
Posts:422
Joined:Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:02 pm
Location:Chelmsford

Re: Door rubber split

Postby DougX » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:56 pm

Hi Mike, Yes I have been introduced to a product called 303 Rubber Seal Protectant. I have used this on all exposed rubbers for the past three years. Unfortunately, the rubbers on the door/window had already split before I began using the product.

colin.c

Member
Posts:5
Joined:Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:09 pm

Re: Door rubber split

Postby colin.c » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:18 pm

HI there I've got this same issue with my XK8 convertible, has anyone found a solution as parts appear to be unavailable???

1998 XK8 owned since 2009, it's such a fantastic car I just want to drive it, but need to look after it too!

Looking forward to hearing your responses.

Thank you, Colin

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: Door rubber split

Postby JimMann » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:40 pm

Following the short piece on A-Post trim fix in the July 2023 Modern XK column, I was contacted by a lot of X-100 owners who were suffering the same problem on their own cars. Eventually I got in contact direct with the company who had supplied the rubber trim, Seal Extrusions, and the guy there, Stuart, was extremely helpful.

Whilst they may not be able to help in every case, they have some really good capability and with some decent descriptions and order visibility, should be able to help.

The home page can be located at: https://sealextrusions.com/

Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: Door rubber split

Postby andypryce » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:00 pm

That particular piece often splits over time, and it’s part of the whole door seal, I think they may be available but expensive. My magazine article just referred to the section on the A pillar, which has rubber wrapped around metal and is an easy fix to replace. Mine is also split as per the pictures above, but as there is no leaks into the car I have decided to ignore it, for now…
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests