Interior Mirror XK8 x100
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:18 pm
So, after spending a fortune on new hydraulic pipes, new hydraulic rams and a second hand pump, the roof works again. But when I went to drive it, I have the dreaded 'yellow wave'... I've removed the mirror and discovered that these are like hen's teeth and you need a fat wallet to replace them. Having spent the equivalent of a nice second-hand car on the hydraulics, I decided that I should look at alternatives to buying a new or second-hand mirror.
I have discovered the Honda Acura uses the same mirror, but doesn't have automatic lights. So, I have decided to see if I can repir it myself using a different Jag mirror. I have just bought an interior mirror of eBay for a XJ X350 hoping that the actual 'mirror' glass may be the same size as the XK8 mirror glass. If so, I hope to be able to make one good mirror out of the two. Question ..
Has anyone separated an XK8 mirror front frame that holds the glass in, from the rear part of the mirror? If so. I would really appreciate some guidance.
Of course, this all may go horribly wrong, in which case I will have to but a new one for £300 + .... but I thought is worth a try.
I have discovered the Honda Acura uses the same mirror, but doesn't have automatic lights. So, I have decided to see if I can repir it myself using a different Jag mirror. I have just bought an interior mirror of eBay for a XJ X350 hoping that the actual 'mirror' glass may be the same size as the XK8 mirror glass. If so, I hope to be able to make one good mirror out of the two. Question ..
Has anyone separated an XK8 mirror front frame that holds the glass in, from the rear part of the mirror? If so. I would really appreciate some guidance.
Of course, this all may go horribly wrong, in which case I will have to but a new one for £300 + .... but I thought is worth a try.