Don't drive the new XKR!

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Don't drive the new XKR!

Postby mike020150 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:31 am

Whatever you do, don't test drive the new XKR! If you thought the new XK was good, the XKR will blow you away and create the most enormous dissatisfaction with your present steed. When I drove the new XK I felt it was a great car but consoled myself that my 2002 4.2 convertible really wasn't overshadowed, merely improved upon. Yes, it was slightly slower, didn't make such a nice noise and handled more clumsily. However, I lived in the real world and couldn't see myself re-morgaging the house for a new one. The XKR, now that's a different proposition altogether. Having driven one for an entire day and several hundred miles, I'm simply gobsmacked with its dynamic abilities. It's just so easy to exploit its performance. The car glides along straights and flows through bends with such poise. Help, I want one so badly! In the round, I still prefer the early car's looks, interior materials quality and practicality of its touring sized boot. But, as for driving ability, it's no contest. Has anyone found an affordable cure for this sickness? :cry: Mike.

User avatar
Sharfrs2
Posts:109
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm
Location:Sunbury, MIddx

Postby Sharfrs2 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Too late, and have to agree with you Mike, fantastic car. Would love to have a coupe' in Indigo blue with cashmere leather. Oh to dream :D

As to an affordable method to owing one, apart from divorce, which allowed me to get my current XK8, though I don't think that would work twice.
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Postby mike020150 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Already tried the divorce route many years ago, still got the scars and I'm not keen to repeat the exercise. My wife also likes nice cars... Perhaps one day I (we) will win the lottery. Oh, was that a flying pig that drifted past? Still, thinking about it, who'd want any car that Clarkson likes? Er, me, it seems. :? Mike.

User avatar
Sharfrs2
Posts:109
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm
Location:Sunbury, MIddx

Postby Sharfrs2 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:44 pm

Just goes to show that Clarkson does have some taste, just doesn't show it that often.
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.

I_MNL
Posts:28
Joined:Sun May 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Location:Driver's seat

Postby I_MNL » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:43 pm

I test drove the recent XKR convertible :D

The best and most exciting car I have ever driven :)

On a round about, as I was pulling out, I had to press the throttle deeply (not quite a kick down) and I heard a terrible loud sound, that could wake the deads... A couple of drivers looked towards me terrified. "Don't worry" the salesman said, "It's the exhaust sound. It's meant to do this" :!: :!: :!:

User avatar
Sharfrs2
Posts:109
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm
Location:Sunbury, MIddx

Postby Sharfrs2 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:36 am

Whilst the exhaust sound of the XKR is better than the old shape XK it's still not loud enough for me IMHO. I went for a Jag driving day, thanks to Stratstone Mayfair at Stoke Park Hotel and when leaving in my 10year old XK8 even the salemen were looking at me with surprise at the sound of my exhaust, chuckle.
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.

JohnXKR
Posts:11
Joined:Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm

Postby JohnXKR » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi
Anbody seen a new XKR portfolio in any showrooms yet.

User avatar
D_Doran
Posts:113
Joined:Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:21 pm

Postby D_Doran » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:37 pm

I've only just got a 2002 XK8, but I want one of the new ones already!!! I was at a Jag main dealer recently on an unrelated matter, and they practically had to drag me away from the new model! It was almost obscene!!! :lol:

I_MNL
Posts:28
Joined:Sun May 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Location:Driver's seat

Postby I_MNL » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 am

Whilst the exhaust sound of the XKR is better than the old shape XK it's still not loud enough for me IMHO. I went for a Jag driving day, thanks to Stratstone Mayfair at Stoke Park Hotel and when leaving in my 10year old XK8 even the salemen were looking at me with surprise at the sound of my exhaust, chuckle.


:shock: Have you done any modifications to the exhaust?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests