Hello,
One position on my GT-capable car checklist might raise a few eyebrows, as I need a stable but detachable towbar system to mount a bicycle rack.
I was told that due to the exhaust layout, such solution may be problematic with x150. Does anyone have experience or advice to share regarding this topic?
Cheers, Krzys
towing setup for x150 (no caravaning, bicycles only)
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: towing setup for x150 (no caravaning, bicycles only)
These days, you are not supposed to add tow bars to cars unless the manufacturers have designed and homologated the car as suitable for use with a tow bar. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe Jaguar has done this for the X150. However, there must be other types of cycle carriers that will fit the X150. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: towing setup for x150 (no caravaning, bicycles only)
With a Coupe model, you can opt for a 'Rear Mount' bike carrier, with a Convertible, there are zero options I believe. Go to the Halfords website and see the options there. Link below:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/
Jim Mann
Banchory
Banchory
Re: towing setup for x150 (no caravaning, bicycles only)
Thanks. I would refrain from putting anything on XK's body. But if anything like this happens, it would be rather roof rack with vacuum cups than wobbly rear mount. Or am I wrong, and there are people having great experience with rear mounts? Happy to learn any!
With a"rear mount", I also see potential problem of covering up the lights and numberplate, so hassle of creating from scratch the wiring for another set of lights justifies thinking about various ways to get a towbar. I believe none of the XK's have been anyhow optimised for towing; x100 is allegedly legal to tow in some countries but its short wheelbase would discourage me from doing so. But adding only 45 kg, even on a lengthy lever, will not be a dramatic change to drive and safety, and x150 should take such a change to weight distribution even better.
What I need, is a piece of technical advice on what are the difficulties with getting to towbar mounted bicycle rack in x150, for it to be considered as a "clean job". Is it the kind of x350, where you need to search quite far for secure bolting, or there are other, even worse obstacles.
If there is a good solution, I will be able to make it legal on the paper.
With a"rear mount", I also see potential problem of covering up the lights and numberplate, so hassle of creating from scratch the wiring for another set of lights justifies thinking about various ways to get a towbar. I believe none of the XK's have been anyhow optimised for towing; x100 is allegedly legal to tow in some countries but its short wheelbase would discourage me from doing so. But adding only 45 kg, even on a lengthy lever, will not be a dramatic change to drive and safety, and x150 should take such a change to weight distribution even better.
What I need, is a piece of technical advice on what are the difficulties with getting to towbar mounted bicycle rack in x150, for it to be considered as a "clean job". Is it the kind of x350, where you need to search quite far for secure bolting, or there are other, even worse obstacles.
If there is a good solution, I will be able to make it legal on the paper.
Re: towing setup for x150 (no caravaning, bicycles only)
Hi Krzys,
The rear mount would not cover the rear number plate and / or lights, it would effectively lie over the rear glass of the hatchback lid on the XK - you need to look at and understand what a rear mount cycle carrier is. I have never seen a towbar on either an X-150 or X-100, but if there has been such a fit, our members out there will know about it and let us know. The fact that no-one has come back as yet, would suggest not. Picking up strong points on any monocoque body structure is going to be problematic, but that is not to say it cannot be achieved.
Jim Mann
The rear mount would not cover the rear number plate and / or lights, it would effectively lie over the rear glass of the hatchback lid on the XK - you need to look at and understand what a rear mount cycle carrier is. I have never seen a towbar on either an X-150 or X-100, but if there has been such a fit, our members out there will know about it and let us know. The fact that no-one has come back as yet, would suggest not. Picking up strong points on any monocoque body structure is going to be problematic, but that is not to say it cannot be achieved.
Jim Mann
Jim Mann
Banchory
Banchory
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests