service intervals

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall
service intervals

Postby painter » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:39 am

Hi, whilst I am used to my XK8 service requirements, I am now about to purchase an XK (R) 2006 and have just seen the service record which looks pretty ragged to me. I can't find the recommended service intervals for these cars and it is too old to trace on the Jag. website. I have attached an image of the service book with stamps and would welcome any advice from XK (R) owners re: the expected intervals for 112,000 miles. In case the image is unclear the service intervals are:-
11/2007 - 3338,
02/2010 - 24290,
03/2012 - 35407,
03/2013 - 52916,
04/2014 - 66400,
07/2017 - 95006,
05/2019 - 106957,
06/2020 - 112112. ??
IMG_0163b.jpeg

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: service intervals

Postby mike020150 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:37 am

At this age and mileage, it makes sense to service the car no less frequently than annually. When acquiring a car with a patchy service record, it always pays to bottom the issue by changing things like spark plugs, belts, transmission oils and coolant (in addition to the usual engine oil and filters), just to be sure. Suspension bushes and brake components are critical to the way an XK rides, handles and stops so they should be checked and the brake fluid changed too. This way, reliability is improved and you can just get on with enjoying the driving experience as Jaguar intended it to be. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: service intervals

Postby painter » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:46 pm

Hello Mike,
I have now been advised that a service was carried out in 2016 @ 82,000 miles, and the service in 2019 was quite 'full' with brake discs/pads ++.
Judging by the comments on reliability I think I am now tempted to go ahead.
One unknown (to me), I thought these were all alum. bodied but now have read that the subframes are steel - is this correct?
IMG_0161.jpeg

JimMann

Member
Posts:631
Joined:Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm
Location:Aberdeenshire

Re: service intervals

Postby JimMann » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:55 pm

The X-150 body panels are aluminium, although they can still be subject to corrosion products, but yes the subframes are steel and can be prone to corrosion if not looked after properly. There is quite a lot on the X-150 corrosion in underbody parts in past magazines. See the April 2018 edition of the JE magazine. Also in April 2020.
Despite corrosion on these great cars, there is no definitive answer as to cause as yet. Potentially a case of cars that spend most of their early life near the sea, or possibly being an all-year round driver on salted roads.
Jim
Jim Mann
Banchory

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: service intervals

Postby painter » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Well that's unfortunate, thought the tinworm had been defeated with the XK. I guess regular inspections and I'm sure they must have separated the aluminium from the steel with a suitable material. Perhaps everlasting chassis are bad for business :twisted:

User avatar
BrianG

Member
Posts:461
Joined:Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Location:West Sussex

Re: service intervals

Postby BrianG » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:46 pm

Your choice ultimately, but I notice it has two periods in its life where, at least according to the service book, services have been stretched badly: 2007-2010 (nearly 3) years and 20,000 miles and 2014-2017 (3+ years) and 28,000 miles. How many owners has it had? I wonder if these periods correspond to changes of, possibly indifferent, new owners? A couple of years ago I walked away from potential change to a supercharged XF when I saw the service book with similar erratic and cheapskate maintenance combined with cheap mis-matched tyres, indicating that at least one previous owner could not afford to run it and service it properly.
Brian
2006 X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
1969 Triumph Daytona rider
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: service intervals

Postby painter » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:36 pm

Hello Brian,
yes I agree, ragged maintenance record, or possibly ragged maintenance record keeping. I now know that there was another service carried out in 2016 @ 82k, and the previous owner is handing over a file containing further info. re: servicing/costs. If the 2015 service is found, and just was not entered, that leaves the initial service 11/2007 to 02/2010, and I imagine whoever owned it then considered they had up to 20k before the second service! Not what I would have done, nor you by the sound of it, but service stamps are not always entered, for instance if the booklet is not left in the car!! The car will however be covered by a comprehensive parts and labour warranty for 12 months which gives a little more confidence, however thanks for the input.

painter

Member
Posts:325
Joined:Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 am
Location:Cornwall

Re: service intervals

Postby painter » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:20 pm

well I've dropped out on this one, the 2016 service didn't happen, Weybridge Automobiles vacated the address provided for the service in 2011!
I don't think they exist now. Also the additional file of service details/receipts has been 'mislaid' . The car looked in prime condition but without filling the blanks on service history just not worth taking the chance. The search will continue :)

mike020150

Member
Posts:3469
Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Re: service intervals

Postby mike020150 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 pm

Probably a sensible decision. Every risk has its price so unless a car has a price which covers the likelihood of poor servicing, it's best to walk away and find a better one to buy. Fortunately, these cars are not super rare, just highly desirable for we petrolheads. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest