COOLANT CHANGE
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Hi I have a 2007 xkr 4.2 and was wondering about changing the coolant. The last time I did it I only managed to drain about 5 litres out of the radiator and ended up just topping it up which has been fine since. I also want to flush the system out as am thinking of using waterless coolant. Having read different forums some say there is another drain plug at the rear of the engine some say they can't find it, others mention taking off the thermostat or the housing, another mentions taking off the water pump as this is the lowest drainage point. I have emailed Sheffield Prestige the models technical advisor but have heard nothing, this is the second time it has happened. Can anyone help? Also the workshop manual I have shows topping up the system through the supercharger, is there any maintenance on the supercharger apart from changing the belt?
Last edited by lovejags on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: COOLANT CHANGE
I think this document will be of interest and help you greatly. Page 18 gives drain details.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... NwdrKUf4YQ
Mike K
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... NwdrKUf4YQ
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: COOLANT CHANGE
To comment on your last query, there is no formal servicing required for the supercharger other than occasionally making sure the oil is kept topped up. Nevertheless, like all things mechanical, the oil does become contaminated over time so replacing it won't do any harm and should extend the life of the supercharger. To do so really requires the unit to be removed and inverted so, it's best done as an extra task when working in that area. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: COOLANT CHANGE
Thanks Mike, have read there is a drain plug on the supercharger where you can insert a syringe and draw the old oil out then put new in, do you know of this and if is it easily accessible.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: COOLANT CHANGE
Nothing is accessible on these cars! Earlier supercharged cars had a reasonably accessible plug that you could use as you describe but I haven't had the need to tackle this task on my X150 so I can't say how easy it would be to get to. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: COOLANT CHANGE
For the 4.2, supercharger oil changes are shown as every 60k Miles.
My XJR 4.2 despite having a Stratstone stamped 60k service, was in desparate need of a charger oil change at 79k miles. It was at that mileage that I bought the car. Then I started getting the car straight again.
What I extracted from the charger is shown here. Black and evil smelling. What the charger was running in, certainly was no longer good oil. Totally clapped out and fit for nothing. 50k charger oil changes for me from now on.
If you think that oil was bad, suck out a sample from your diff! Similar to above immage. 90k on Jag service sheets. In my opinion, 60k intervals would be more realistic.
Mike K
My XJR 4.2 despite having a Stratstone stamped 60k service, was in desparate need of a charger oil change at 79k miles. It was at that mileage that I bought the car. Then I started getting the car straight again.
What I extracted from the charger is shown here. Black and evil smelling. What the charger was running in, certainly was no longer good oil. Totally clapped out and fit for nothing. 50k charger oil changes for me from now on.
If you think that oil was bad, suck out a sample from your diff! Similar to above immage. 90k on Jag service sheets. In my opinion, 60k intervals would be more realistic.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: COOLANT CHANGE
Sadly, Jaguar lists the X150 supercharger as, 'Sealed for life' and we all know what that means... Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
