I have an opportunity to buy one of these beasties. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this model?
I know there can be long-term risks buying a special edition model, with non-standard parts that become unobtainable in future, and I'll probably be keeping the car for at least 10 years so this could be relevant. I seem to recall it being an issue with the XJR-S.
XKR 75 Goodwood
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: XKR 75 Goodwood
Hi,
The spec of this special edition was not dramatically different from other XKRs which has to be good news for long term ownership. The engine benefits from a small power increase and the model has revised suspension settings. In these circumstances, the fun of ownership should be enhanced modestly.
The most important issue probably centres on the crunch question of whether you are happy with the car's firmer ride. These days, many members are surprised by the stiff ride Jaguar gives to its performance XK models. Performance XKs now have the handling to match their tremendous performance but the ride does suffer as the horsepower rating of the different models increases. Mike.
The spec of this special edition was not dramatically different from other XKRs which has to be good news for long term ownership. The engine benefits from a small power increase and the model has revised suspension settings. In these circumstances, the fun of ownership should be enhanced modestly.
The most important issue probably centres on the crunch question of whether you are happy with the car's firmer ride. These days, many members are surprised by the stiff ride Jaguar gives to its performance XK models. Performance XKs now have the handling to match their tremendous performance but the ride does suffer as the horsepower rating of the different models increases. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: XKR 75 Goodwood
Thanks, Mike - I've been trying to choose between the XKR and the Nissan GT-R, and have test driven several of each. After the GT-R, any XKR feels softer. In the end, I was unable to convince myself that I could live with the harsh GT-R ride in order to enjoy super car performance, and this will be my third Jag so I know who's good for servicing, etc., rather than having to learn a whole new 'ecosystem' with a different marque.
The 75 seems like a good compromise: better performance and handling than a standard XKR, more affordable than the XKR-S, but not as hard-riding as the GT-R. So I've paid my deposit… roll on Saturday!
The 75 seems like a good compromise: better performance and handling than a standard XKR, more affordable than the XKR-S, but not as hard-riding as the GT-R. So I've paid my deposit… roll on Saturday!
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: XKR 75 Goodwood
It would be good to hear what the car is like to live with, day to day. Give it a few weeks and then, how about writing an article for the mag about your decision making process and eventual purchase? Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: XKR 75 Goodwood
Hmmm, yes, could be fun - prod me in a few weeks to remind me (I assume as a mod you'll have access to my email address)
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: XKR 75 Goodwood
One volunteer is worth ten pressed men!
Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest