Page 1 of 1

Pay as You Go - doesn't work, but contract does ?

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:15 am
by paulg390
Hi , my 2001 XKR has a built in phone with handset (defo not mobile though !). Have tried 3 sims in it and 2 worked (contract ones with Vodafone and 02) but a Vodafone Pay as you go didn't ? I just kept getting "check sim" ? Wanted to leave the PAYG in the car and then divert our mobiles to it when in the car...
Odd ? Any ideas ?

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:03 pm
by GrandTourer
I have looked at this a couple of years ago and was told by Vodophone that PAYG will not work, only contract. He also said that if it would work, the cost would be astronomical, but no actual figures given :roll:

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:13 pm
by paulg390
thanks.... bit of a shame really... :roll:
Dont suppose you know if other PAYG's would work ?
Read some posts on a porsche forum which implied 02 PAYG worked in Porsche handsets..

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:40 am
by mike020150
Hi,
I use a Virgin PAYG sim in my 03 MY convertible fitted with the standard Jaguar wired phone. It's been fine for the 4 years I've had it. I've not checked that every last facility of the Jaguar system works as it should but the directory is displayed OK and it works handsfree. Mike.

Re: Pay as You Go - doesn't work, but contract does ?

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:51 am
by Brakebuster
Hi , my 2001 XKR has a built in phone with handset (defo not mobile though !). Have tried 3 sims in it and 2 worked (contract ones with Vodafone and 02) but a Vodafone Pay as you go didn't ? I just kept getting "check sim" ? Wanted to leave the PAYG in the car and then divert our mobiles to it when in the car...
Odd ? Any ideas ?

oh, im so tempted..............


BB

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:47 pm
by bcz
Hi,

I have an O2 PAYG installed in mine and it works fine.

bcz

O2

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:55 pm
by GMan
I have an O2 PAYG SIm and it works fine.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:39 am
by charlock
The earlier car kits are not dual band and only work at 900MHz i.e. Vodafone and O2 only. They are not locked to any particular network and will also accept foreign SIMs as long as they are for 900MHz GSM networks.

I'm guessing that's the problem. I suspect the Vodafone SIM was a dud. Did it work in another (unlocked or Vodafone branded) phone?

PAYGO v Contract should not make a difference - it still uses the same radio network and protocols and is not distinguished by the radio network until the call details reach the billing system!

If you want to use the same number with more than one SIM (e.g. to us the same number for the car kit and another phone) then you probably will need to go on contract however, and it messes up voicemail and I believe also some other network services such as diverts.

In my early Motorola Startac 130 based kit (the original "flip" phone), an O2 PAYGO SIM worked fine (but Virgin didn't because it uses the T-Mobile network in the UK which generally operates at 1800MHz - never tried but it would probably work abroad where it would roam to some 900MHz networks).

I've now changed to a Parrot Bluetooth Kit which even matches the Jag blue/green illumination colour, because I got fed up with having 2 numbers and forgetting to divert - or at least my alternative driver did :roll: . I've also gained some extra space in the centre cubby :) .