Coolant level
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
-
chocolatemonk
- Posts:6
- Joined:Thu May 23, 2013 7:21 pm
I have just checked my coolant level and I can only just see the orange fluid in the bottom of the reservoir, can I top up with water or does it have to be the orange coolant ? Where should the level be? Thanks 
Re: Coolant level
CM
Whilst I don't have an XK8, experience says that if your coolant is of the correct formulation topping up the reservoir alone will not weaken it enough to make any difference so water (soft/de-ionised) should be fine.
The question is why has the level dropped? And....when did you last check it?
Top it up exactly to the mark (details in handbook?) when cold, run for a week and check frequently during that period (also when cold) just in case.
Best
TonyS
Whilst I don't have an XK8, experience says that if your coolant is of the correct formulation topping up the reservoir alone will not weaken it enough to make any difference so water (soft/de-ionised) should be fine.
The question is why has the level dropped? And....when did you last check it?
Top it up exactly to the mark (details in handbook?) when cold, run for a week and check frequently during that period (also when cold) just in case.
Best
TonyS
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.
-
chocolatemonk
- Posts:6
- Joined:Thu May 23, 2013 7:21 pm
Re: Coolant level
Ok thanks Tony, I have only had the car for five weeks and this is the first time I have checked it, not sure if its been at this level for some time, I will top up with a drop of water and keep an eye on it! Thanks for the advice 
Re: Coolant level
these cars should not be full to the brim, check the handbook for the correct level and top up only to that, if you over fill, the excess will bleed out leaving you thinking you have a leak
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Coolant level
check the clip on the pipe near the resevoir,look for signs of leaks.mine was leaking when engine was hot .....new clip 30p..........jaguar bill would be £80.30Ok thanks Tony, I have only had the car for five weeks and this is the first time I have checked it, not sure if its been at this level for some time, I will top up with a drop of water and keep an eye on it! Thanks for the advice
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
