Page 1 of 1

Thermostat housing

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:11 pm
by WULLIE4567
Hi Folks
Hope you all had a nice Xmas & happy new year :P
A wee word of warning for anyone who has fitted the aftermarket plastic thermostat housing, I fitted one in 2007 when I done my timing chains etc. This morning my Jag was covered with frost I started her up to let her defrost' when I went back to her there was steam and coolant everywhere, up with the bonnet to find the radiator hose that connects to the thermostat housing had popped off 'o' dear :roll: I checked the hose and housing no cracks or splits to be seen, the hose clip was also in good condition. The problem is the ridge or belled end that stops the hose coming off the housing is not very prominant and had allowed the hose pop off, lucky for me I was at home when this happend and not scooting along the by-pass at speed.
I have now fitted a proper jubilee clip instead of the original spring type but I think I will order up the aluminium one and fit it.
So watch out if you have one of these aftermarket plastic housing not a very good idea at all.

PS, There is no adverse pressure in the cooling system just the usual pressure.

Cheers
Wullie 8)

Re: Thermostat housing

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:33 pm
by J44EAG
Funny that! Well not really. Rather more an inconvenience.

I changed the hose clip on my V8 S-type to a Jubillee clip as I did not trust the squeeze type original fitting.

I have an ali thermostat tower fitted. In all details and dimensions, it is absolutely identical to a plastic original unit. The only difference is that the ali tower is made from ali! There is no difference or increase in size of the ridge found at the end of the pipe fitting when compared to a plastic item. So water integrity really is down to a decent hose clip.

Further details with pictures can be found on the S-type Forum BB under Cooling system/V8 thermostat tower.

Glad you survived the problem.

Mike K

Re: Thermostat housing

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 pm
by WULLIE4567
Mike
Thanks for the reply, yes inconvenience it was but sorted for now, I'll have a wee look at your posting.

cheers
Wullie