LEAK IN HEATER MATRIX

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE
LEAK IN HEATER MATRIX

Postby WULLIE4567 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi all
Has anyone ever changed a heater matrix on the XK8, if not I will keep you informed when do it. The symtoms are: a smell of antifreeze in the cabin, Slight drop in the coolant tank level, the windows steam up very quickly and a heavy smell of antifreeze with no A/con on just the heating, if I then switch back to heating with A/Con on it clears with less of a smell. thats it nice Xmas pressy .
Looking at the JTIS Cd it seems not to bad a job apart from the steering colum has to be removed.
anybody done this job yet??? :(

Am sure I have read here or some other forum, someone doing this repair and remember they had bother with the seals and 'O' rings rather than the matrix leaking. HELP!!
Cheers
Wullie 8)
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.

aaj

Moderator
Posts:177
Joined:Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:00 am

Postby aaj » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 am

Hi Wullie

Are you sure its the heater matrix?

I've had similar problems but the cause was the various bits of the plastic elements of the engine cooling system.

Look at the base of the thermostat housing tower at the front of the engine in the V - coolant will pool there if the tower has failed. Feel all around the pipe that links the Thermostat housing to the two banks of engine cylinders. Look also at the water pump if its still the original.

These are the leaks I've had & I feel sure there are more to come!

Regards

Allan

User avatar
WULLIE4567
Posts:192
Joined:Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm
Location:EAST AYRSHIRE

Postby WULLIE4567 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi Allan
Thanks for your reply, I repaced the water pump and the thermo housing when I done the timing chains, the most likely thing to leak and cause all the condensation in the car and the strong smell when sitting still Would be the matrix or possibly the 'o' rings and seals. Hopefully someone somewhere has had this problem and will get in touch. :?

cheers
Wullie 8)
XJS AWAY TO NEW OWNER.
XK8 COUPE MY 2000 MY TOY & RANGE ROVER SPORT WORKHORSE.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest