Page 1 of 1

High temperature

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:40 pm
by markgroves99
I have recently pucahased a 1999 XK8 convertible, which has done 39k. After it has been running for a while the temperature gauge creeps up and up until the needle is finally in the red. When the red light comes on The needle moves back towards the middle. After a while it creeps up again and the whole process is repeated, is this correct. Also after I have stopped the fans continue running for approx 5 minutes. Is all this normal?
Thanks Mark.

Re: High temperature

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:56 pm
by Nik
I have recently pucahased a 1999 XK8 convertible, which has done 39k. After it has been running for a while the temperature gauge creeps up and up until the needle is finally in the red. When the red light comes on The needle moves back towards the middle. After a while it creeps up again and the whole process is repeated, is this correct. Also after I have stopped the fans continue running for approx 5 minutes. Is all this normal?
Thanks Mark.

No Mark , this is not normal :!: , Has your car been fitted with the latest water pump and thermostat :?: The early water pumps were prone to loosing the vanes of the impeller , they looked fine externally but shot internally , the later pump is directly interchangable and very easy to fit ..................... It's worth noting that the Genuine Jaguar pump is by far the best and remarkably it's cheaper than a lot of pattern pumps :wink: , the early thermostats were also "temperamental" and gen ones are also cheap , I can not stress too strongly that you should not run the engine if it's overheating , a new engine or head gaskets etc could be very , very expensive ,

Hope this helps ,

Nik

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:47 pm
by markgroves99
Thanks Nik I will investigate yor suggestions.
Regards Mark

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:23 am
by Del_Boy
The temperature Red warning light has just started to glow on my 99 XKR but the needle remains bang in the middle !!!!! No overheating only light glow !!!!!

Any ideas guys ?

Derek

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 pm
by Nik
Hi Derek ,

How about taking the lamp out :?: :wink: ,
seriously thogh Del , doesn't the lamp and the gauge run on different sensors ?

Best Wishes ,

Nik

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:04 pm
by Del_Boy
Thanks Nik,

However It seem to have fixed it self and gone out :?

I think these cars have a mind of there own LOL

Derek