Checking water pump xk8

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

xk82002jaguar
Posts:30
Joined:Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:30 am
Location:Petts Wood, Kent
Checking water pump xk8

Postby xk82002jaguar » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:42 am

I have just got my XK8 and to learn a bit about it, bought the 'you&your jaguar XK8' Haynes book. In the book it says you can check if the water pump is working correctly by removing the coolant expansion tank filler cap (when the engine is cold) then run the engine at approx. 1200rpm. Coolant should be circulating briskly, causing a swirl of fluid from the bleed pipes back into the expansion tank. If the water pump isn't working there will be little circulation and therefore hardly any swirl. On checking this I found no circulation at all :shock: . I emailed haynes, who offer a 24hr reply service, on 11th Oct, I've had no reply. I have only just joined JEC and on Saturday emailed the technical advice department and Nigel Thorley who wrote the book (no reply as yet). The reason I want what the book says confirmed is: My car is 2002, 45k mls. I got it from a Jag dealer (Stratstone Luton) It has FSH at Stratstone. It was supposedly checked over before being sold to me and I have 1 yr warranty. Plus jag assistance. My thinking is should the coolant circulate before the thermostat is open.

User avatar
Sharfrs2
Posts:109
Joined:Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:10 pm
Location:Sunbury, MIddx

Postby Sharfrs2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:46 pm

You'll know if the coolant isn't circulating by the fact that the temp gauge shoots up like a rocket. Happend to me whilst driving in Wales a couple of years ago :shock: . The impeller is a known weak point and can come off the spindle, if you're really unlucky it then breaks up and is flushed around the engine. Take your P&J back to the dealer and they can check if the pump has been changed to the latest spec. The thermostat should also be changed as a matter of course.
Remember those that gave their todays for your tomorrows.

xk82002jaguar
Posts:30
Joined:Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:30 am
Location:Petts Wood, Kent

Postby xk82002jaguar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:59 pm

Sharfrs2
Thanks very much for the advice
regards
Mick


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest