Page 1 of 1
Cooling fans not on after engine switched off
Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 pm
by John579
Hi, I have a 1996 XK8 coupe, all works well, however even on a long trip, on switching off the engine the cooling fans only remain on for approx 30sec - is this normal? I would expect them to carry on cooling for at least 5mins....
Would appreciate if anyone advise if this is normal or where the sensor is located and how to test?
Many thanks
John
Re: Cooling fans not on after engine switched off
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:59 am
by mike020150
It's some years since I ran an X100 but I don't recollect in typical use that the fans ran for long periods after switching the engine off so I would say what you describe sounds normal. Mike.
Re: Cooling fans not on after engine switched off
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 pm
by Astromorg
+1. I'm not really aware of my fans ever running on, even after fast runs in the hottest weather.
You can monitor the actual coolant temperature using a scanner such as Torque on your mobile phone to see what the temperature is just before you shut down, but of course to check the temp after shutting down means at least turning the ignition back on that might set one or both fans off anyway!
Bearing in mind that these cars were designed to be able to operate in hotter climates than the UK, there's probably a reasonable amount of spare cooling capacity if the system has been properly maintained
Re: Cooling fans not on after engine switched off
Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:56 am
by John579
Thank you for the reassurance.
John
Re: Cooling fans not on after engine switched off
Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am
by John579
Thank you for the reassurance.
John