My 2013 XKR, had sudden temperature rise then it dropped as quick, then fine but I took to garage and had thermostat changed and checked that fans were working. Half a dozen trips later the temp shot up, I pulled over and the expansion tank bottom blew out.
Recovered back to garage, new tank fitted all was good or so we thought but when they had it back two week later for MOT the tank exploded again during emissions test.
Garage has been told the material the tanks are made from age and this could be the fault, then people switch to alloy tanks. But I am concerned there is another issue with the cooling system.
Any ideas?
Exploding expansion tank x2
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Re: Exploding expansion tank x2
Two thoughts; first, I would think that a new tank came with a new pressure relief cap, but if not and the old cap was re-used, it might be faulty and not relieving excess pressure.
Second and more likely is that the tank was over-filled and couldn't relieve the coolant expansion fast enough. The X150 models have no atmospheric tank to take and feed back excess coolant. They depend on a significant air space being left in the top of the tank. The max level is marked on the tank but can be overlooked.
Second and more likely is that the tank was over-filled and couldn't relieve the coolant expansion fast enough. The X150 models have no atmospheric tank to take and feed back excess coolant. They depend on a significant air space being left in the top of the tank. The max level is marked on the tank but can be overlooked.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
Re: Exploding expansion tank x2
Thanks it was a new cap.
I’ll make a point on the water level.
I’ll make a point on the water level.
Re: Exploding expansion tank x2
Thanks it was a new cap.
I’ll make a point on the water level.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
