Page 1 of 1

Pump connector for split rim wheels

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 pm
by PrideofLyons
Thought I'd put a bit more air in the tyres on my car the other day but found that once I'd screwed the little valve extension gizmo in (the car's on Sepangs) there isn't enough space between the extension and the rim to get the footpump connector on so I'm stymied. Spent some time scouring t'interweb for 'BBS valve extension' and the like but to no avail. I feel that I must be missing something somewhere (entirely possible) as I can't believe that I'm the only owner of a car on split-rim wheels wanting to use a footpump on 'em. Help.

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 am
by aaj
I had same problem on a motorcycle with alloy wheels. I bought a tyre valve extension from a local motorist accessory shop.

AllanJ

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 am
by J44EAG
Perhaps there is something suitable here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/tyre-valve-extension

Mike K

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 pm
by PrideofLyons
Thanks for the suggestions. Allan - I already bought some valve extenders but it turns out that what I thought was a thread on the end of the BBS valve screw-ins is just a bunch of grooves so extenders cannot be screwed on. Mike - I checked out the various connectors etc that you highlighted but, in view of the absence of a screw thread on the BBS gizmoes (mentioned above) maybe a different kind of connector on the footpump hose might be the way forward, but which type? Any ideas?

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 pm
by PrideofLyons
Eureka! After further experimentation I've made the happy discovery that a dual purpose schrader/presta track pump connector that I bought recently (good old eBay) for use on bicycles is slim enough to fit on to the BBS valve screw-in, so I'm out of trouble. :D

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 pm
by Brakebuster

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm
by PrideofLyons
Thank for the link BB but, as far as I can make out from the picture on the listing, that's actually the adaptor that screws into the rim, two of which came with the car.