Removal of Upper Steering Column Cowl
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
In the process of removing/checking/replacing the wiper switch stalk on a 2000 XKR. Have removed steering wheel, airbag and lower steering column cowl but something is still holding the upper cowl in place. Any advice as to what it is and how I can free it gratefully received. Thanks.
Re: Removal of Upper Steering Column Cowl
Hi Barry,
Having looked at my drawings, it appears that if you have removed the lower cowl and the 2 screws then the top half should also come away. There is 4 tangs that locate the 2 halves together, perhaps they are caught up. Try a little gentle prying to see if it is just stuck.
Hope this helps.
Having looked at my drawings, it appears that if you have removed the lower cowl and the 2 screws then the top half should also come away. There is 4 tangs that locate the 2 halves together, perhaps they are caught up. Try a little gentle prying to see if it is just stuck.
Hope this helps.
Re: Removal of Upper Steering Column Cowl
Dear jimeva,
Thanks for the reply. That was my first thought but having exerted significant force it was obvious that there was something substantial holding it in place. Have now discovered what that was - three screws, accessible from underneath the column (one of which remained hidden by a wiring loom). The JTIS software was not helpful either. However, having now removed the cowl I have gained access to the wiper switch assembly and have discovered that I cannot take the wiper switch out witout removing the underscuttle! That will have to wait until tomorrow. I have never owned a car that was so difficult to service as this XKR is proving. Thanks for your interest.
Thanks for the reply. That was my first thought but having exerted significant force it was obvious that there was something substantial holding it in place. Have now discovered what that was - three screws, accessible from underneath the column (one of which remained hidden by a wiring loom). The JTIS software was not helpful either. However, having now removed the cowl I have gained access to the wiper switch assembly and have discovered that I cannot take the wiper switch out witout removing the underscuttle! That will have to wait until tomorrow. I have never owned a car that was so difficult to service as this XKR is proving. Thanks for your interest.
Re: Removal of Upper Steering Column Cowl
Hi Barry,
Glad you got it sorted, note to self about the 3 screws in case I need to take mine off, thanks.
Jim.
Glad you got it sorted, note to self about the 3 screws in case I need to take mine off, thanks.
Jim.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
