Best Tyre pressures

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

XK8Dundee

Member
Posts:55
Joined:Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:06 pm
Location:Dundee
Best Tyre pressures

Postby XK8Dundee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Another question. Bought my XK8 last August and have never checked pressures till now :shock: Anyway it's start of the driving season and taking car to Ireland so thought it was time I did as they do look a little soft. Anyway found plate under armrest with recommended figures and searched all over internet (inc forums) but left slightly confused. :? All 4 were between 20 & 24 yet label shows 32 front & 34 rear. I have pumped them tp that and now away for short run to see how it feels. Anyone able to give me some more guidance or recommendations. Car is only really for dry weather summer use (so here in Scotland will see plenty of wet roads :lol: )

Tyres are Pirelli P1 with 245/40 - 19 0n front and 255/40 - 19 on back.

Cheers

Walter
Walter

2003 XK8 4.2 Convertible in Jaguar racing green

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Best Tyre pressures

Postby Nik » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi Walter ,
32 Front / 34 Rear for 19" would be fine , Jaguar do list a "comfort" setting that gives a slightly more comfortable ride (allegedly) , I would avoid using the lower setting as it leads to greater tyre wear and it's more likely that the side walls of the tyres would be damaged if you inadvertently hit a pothole ,
I must admit to being horrified that you hadn't checked the pressures for such a long period
, once a fortnight would be much better :wink:
I guess you have never experienced a tyre blow out at speed , it can be very exciting :!: :!: ,

Hope this helps ,

Nik

PS Don't think I'm being cheeky but do check your oil and coolant levels before heading off to sunny Ireland :wink:
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

XK8Dundee

Member
Posts:55
Joined:Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:06 pm
Location:Dundee

Re: Best Tyre pressures

Postby XK8Dundee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Cheers Nik. Car did seem to feel a lot better and even steering a bit lighter. No idea why I never thought to check tyres before :cry: Fortunately car is only for dry use so hasn't done many miles since I bought it but no excuse I know, will do it much more frequent now. Have checked everything else today and all OK :) On that point does the washer bottle have an overflow pipe built in? I topped that up to about an inch from top of neck but immediately discovered a trickle of clear water from directly below, about half a cup full then it stopped.

P.S. Don't think you were being cheeky :lol:
Walter

2003 XK8 4.2 Convertible in Jaguar racing green

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Best Tyre pressures

Postby Nik » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:22 pm

I topped that up to about an inch from top of neck but immediately discovered a trickle of clear water from directly below, about half a cup full then it stopped.
Hi ,
I think you may have a small split in the washer bottle as it doesn't have an overflow :cry: ,
I'd either live with it until it gets worse or source a good secondhand replacement :idea:

All the best ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO

XK8Dundee

Member
Posts:55
Joined:Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:06 pm
Location:Dundee

Re: Best Tyre pressures

Postby XK8Dundee » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Nik.

I'm guessing if it is a split/hole it must be somewhere near the top as not a great quantity of liquid coming out, unless of course it's only a small tank :( Is it an easy part to replace, can it be got at simply or does half the engine have to come out :lol:

Walter
Walter

2003 XK8 4.2 Convertible in Jaguar racing green

Nik
Posts:498
Joined:Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:39 pm
Location:East Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Best Tyre pressures

Postby Nik » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Not a big job , the engine does not need to be removed :wink:
Jack up the N/S/F and place on an axle stand , remove the road wheel , remove the inner wing plastic liner and all will be revealed ,

Hope this helps ,

Nik
Antigua Blue XK8 Coupe.....1998.75 MY.....Reg No ..N1XKO


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests