Steering/ braking judder.
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:11 pm
Hello All,
I took my MY2000 XK8 Coupe out for a little zip round today, as it was dry and let’s face it, any excuse is good enough.
Unfortunately all was not well, after around 20 or so minutes into the drive, a mix of country lanes and the M1, between 55 and 70mph there was quite a bit of steering wheel shake. It was also there at lower speeds when braking on slip roads approaching junctions etc. When I’d returned home, already thinking wheel balancing/ tracking tomorrow, as soon as I got out I could feel the heat off the OSF wheel. Bending down, the smell was not right to put it mildly and the heat could be felt on my face. The other three wheels were just normal ambient temperature. So I’m assuming I’ve got an OSF brake binding. All discs and pads were replaced last January prior to my ownership by a Jaguar specialist in Harrogate and I had both front reluctor rings replaced about a month ago. My questions are:
1. It about 35 miles to the Jaguar specialist- is it safe to drive there? If not would it be something either a local (2 miles away) mechanic could handle.
2. Reading other previous threads on steering/ brake judder, has left me really confused and concerned about the steering judder and road surfaces so any advice after clearing the binding brake would be greatly appreciated.
Apologies for the War & Peace but I thought as much background as possible would be preferable to just a handful of sentences.
Regards,
Michael.
I took my MY2000 XK8 Coupe out for a little zip round today, as it was dry and let’s face it, any excuse is good enough.
Unfortunately all was not well, after around 20 or so minutes into the drive, a mix of country lanes and the M1, between 55 and 70mph there was quite a bit of steering wheel shake. It was also there at lower speeds when braking on slip roads approaching junctions etc. When I’d returned home, already thinking wheel balancing/ tracking tomorrow, as soon as I got out I could feel the heat off the OSF wheel. Bending down, the smell was not right to put it mildly and the heat could be felt on my face. The other three wheels were just normal ambient temperature. So I’m assuming I’ve got an OSF brake binding. All discs and pads were replaced last January prior to my ownership by a Jaguar specialist in Harrogate and I had both front reluctor rings replaced about a month ago. My questions are:
1. It about 35 miles to the Jaguar specialist- is it safe to drive there? If not would it be something either a local (2 miles away) mechanic could handle.
2. Reading other previous threads on steering/ brake judder, has left me really confused and concerned about the steering judder and road surfaces so any advice after clearing the binding brake would be greatly appreciated.
Apologies for the War & Peace but I thought as much background as possible would be preferable to just a handful of sentences.
Regards,
Michael.
