Space Saver wheel
Moderators:MarkX, mike020150
Question, I have a 2011 XKR 5.0 cabriolet with no space saver wheel or toolkit, it’s on 20” wheels but can’t seem to find any, I take it I have to get a 20” space saver, But I can only find 19” for sale any ideas?
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Space Saver wheel
The answer's a simple one. Jaguar fitted a 19" spacesaver. The 19" version has sufficient clearance for the XKR's brake calipers and used with the correct size tyre (typically 135 /70 x 19"), it is approved for temporary use up to 50mph. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Space Saver wheel
As Mike says, the original by jaguar was a 19 inch rim plus a tyre of suitable dimensions to give a rolling diameter within 2 or 3% of the full size wheels. There is no legal requirement for the spare rim size to match the other wheels.
However, if you really want a 20 inch version, such wheels/tyres are available. See here for options ( AT quite a price though
)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TheWheelShop-2 ... B07NC12RXX
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m131b0s0p0/T ... _-_20_inch
However, if you really want a 20 inch version, such wheels/tyres are available. See here for options ( AT quite a price though
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TheWheelShop-2 ... B07NC12RXX
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m131b0s0p0/T ... _-_20_inch
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
Re: Space Saver wheel
Hi, I have the same issue - 20 inch wheels on my 2014 XK8 and have the third puncture in 4000 miles. Time to get a spare!
Can I ask - if you get a 19 inch space saver how do I specify the correct size tyre to match the overall diameter of the 20 inch wheels.
Aside from any legal requirements I am worried about damage to the diff if I use the wrong size.
Thanks for any guidance.
Can I ask - if you get a 19 inch space saver how do I specify the correct size tyre to match the overall diameter of the 20 inch wheels.
Aside from any legal requirements I am worried about damage to the diff if I use the wrong size.
Thanks for any guidance.
Re: Space Saver wheel
Further to my previous post - can anyone recommend where I can get the complete kit from (Jack etc)
Re: Space Saver wheel
You can buy whole kit from various websites, see example below, or if you’re inclined you can get wheel off eBay and separate generic jacking kit, that’s what I did for my XF, as it was cheaper.
https://www.carnoisseur.com/wheel-acces ... guar-xkxkr
https://www.carnoisseur.com/wheel-acces ... guar-xkxkr
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: Space Saver wheel
Many thanks Andy.
Do you know if Jaguar themselves supply a kit? I asked at a dealer at the parts chap didn't convince me that he knew the answer.
Ideally I would like to get the proper kit (even though it is more expensive).
Thanks,
Phil.
Do you know if Jaguar themselves supply a kit? I asked at a dealer at the parts chap didn't convince me that he knew the answer.
Ideally I would like to get the proper kit (even though it is more expensive).
Thanks,
Phil.
-
mike020150

- Posts:3469
- Joined:Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm
Re: Space Saver wheel
Jaguar's parts system is a bit clunky to use and doesn't currently list a kit of spare wheel components. However, most of the original items (foam tool tray, jack, wheel brace etc) are still available separately. Items, like the jack, altered slightly over the model run so it's important to quote the car's VIN when ordering them. The 19" alloy spacesaver wheel (no tyre) is now expensive to buy from Jaguar (£355 + VAT). Similarly, the tool foam costs £115 +VAT. Then, there are the jack, brace & wheel chocks, which will cost another £100 to £200. Consequently, second hand items are a cheaper route if you can find them. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; 2023 XE AWD 300S
Re: Space Saver wheel
Unless you madly want original kit, I would go with after market plus second hand wheel off eBay, for example. After all, it's something that hopefully you will never use...
Although then again I did not long after purchasing mine for my XF...
Although then again I did not long after purchasing mine for my XF...
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: Space Saver wheel
I have ordered a "Road Hero" kit from Carnoisseur - £299 , free delivery. Should be with me today or Monday. Comes with jack, brace, hi viz jacket, head torch etc. Seems very good value. Hopefully will fit into the spare wheel space in the boot.
I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here.
Thanks again for your help.
I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here.
Thanks again for your help.
Re: Space Saver wheel
Yes please post an update, would be interested to know if it’s as good as it looks
Andy
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998
Re: Space Saver wheel
All,
I haver now received my "Road Hero" space saver spare for my 2014 XK8 with 20 inch wheels.
I am pleased to say that it seems very good quality, comes with everything you need including scissor jack, brace, even head torch, gloves, rain cape, kneeling mat, cover and warning triangle.
It is a 19 inch wheel but with a tyre that gives the same diameter as the 20 inch wheels.
If you are going to order one make sure that you check with the supplier that they specify the correct tyre for your car - ie 19 or 20 inch.
Also if you have an XKR I believe that there is a different wheel to give room for the Brembo brakes.
I can also confirm that (with a bit of persuasion) it fitted into the spare wheel well in the boot.
Hope this is helpful.
Phil.
I haver now received my "Road Hero" space saver spare for my 2014 XK8 with 20 inch wheels.
I am pleased to say that it seems very good quality, comes with everything you need including scissor jack, brace, even head torch, gloves, rain cape, kneeling mat, cover and warning triangle.
It is a 19 inch wheel but with a tyre that gives the same diameter as the 20 inch wheels.
If you are going to order one make sure that you check with the supplier that they specify the correct tyre for your car - ie 19 or 20 inch.
Also if you have an XKR I believe that there is a different wheel to give room for the Brembo brakes.
I can also confirm that (with a bit of persuasion) it fitted into the spare wheel well in the boot.
Hope this is helpful.
Phil.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests