Pump connector for split rim wheels

Moderators:MarkX, mike020150

PrideofLyons
Posts:45
Joined:Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm
Pump connector for split rim wheels

Postby PrideofLyons » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Thought I'd put a bit more air in the tyres on my car the other day but found that once I'd screwed the little valve extension gizmo in (the car's on Sepangs) there isn't enough space between the extension and the rim to get the footpump connector on so I'm stymied. Spent some time scouring t'interweb for 'BBS valve extension' and the like but to no avail. I feel that I must be missing something somewhere (entirely possible) as I can't believe that I'm the only owner of a car on split-rim wheels wanting to use a footpump on 'em. Help.

aaj

Moderator
Posts:177
Joined:Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Postby aaj » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:26 am

I had same problem on a motorcycle with alloy wheels. I bought a tyre valve extension from a local motorist accessory shop.

AllanJ
XK8 Registrar
2016 F-Type British Design Edition AWD; 1972 650 Triton

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Postby J44EAG » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 am

Perhaps there is something suitable here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/tyre-valve-extension

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

PrideofLyons
Posts:45
Joined:Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Postby PrideofLyons » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Allan - I already bought some valve extenders but it turns out that what I thought was a thread on the end of the BBS valve screw-ins is just a bunch of grooves so extenders cannot be screwed on. Mike - I checked out the various connectors etc that you highlighted but, in view of the absence of a screw thread on the BBS gizmoes (mentioned above) maybe a different kind of connector on the footpump hose might be the way forward, but which type? Any ideas?

PrideofLyons
Posts:45
Joined:Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Postby PrideofLyons » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Eureka! After further experimentation I've made the happy discovery that a dual purpose schrader/presta track pump connector that I bought recently (good old eBay) for use on bicycles is slim enough to fit on to the BBS valve screw-in, so I'm out of trouble. :D

Brakebuster
Posts:3145
Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Location:Gloucester UK

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Postby Brakebuster » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 pm

1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type

PrideofLyons
Posts:45
Joined:Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: Pump connector for split rim wheels

Postby PrideofLyons » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Thank for the link BB but, as far as I can make out from the picture on the listing, that's actually the adaptor that screws into the rim, two of which came with the car.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests