Page 1 of 1
Fuel Smell in Car
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:06 pm
by jeccles2
I have a '98 XKR hardtop with 27,000 miles on the clock. Whenever I stop I notice a fuel smell in the car which disappears as soon as I am on the move again. I can find no source of leakage anywhere. Can anyone suggest the cause/solution is it a common concern?
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:10 pm
by mike020150
Unlike XJSs, XK8s don't seem to suffer from fuel smells, hence the lack of response to your query! Apart from the obvious examination for dangerous leaks from the exposed pipework, filter etc, I'd suggest trying to analyse whether the smell is more prevalent when the tank is full or after hard cornering or acceleration. That might give you a clue about the source. If hard driving after filling seems to increase the smell, suspect the filler cap to tank hose fixings, and so on. Let us know what happens, won't you? Mike.
Re: Fuel Smell in Car
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:55 am
by scimi1
I have a '98 XKR hardtop with 27,000 miles on the clock. Whenever I stop I notice a fuel smell in the car which disappears as soon as I am on the move again. I can find no source of leakage anywhere. Can anyone suggest the cause/solution is it a common concern?

Hi I have only recently bought my XKR and had a smell of petrol in the car and it turned out to be the tank leaking on the seam. Luckily the car is still under warranty and they replaced it but it is worth taking the rear boot cover out to reveal the tank and checking underneath it for leaks.
Scimi1
Re: Fuel Smell in Car
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 am
by Montana5
Hi, hope you don't mind me popping over from the S Type board. I have had a similar issue with 2 previous non Jaguar Cars, cured both times by either replacing the fuel cap, or really tightening it up after re fueling.
Doug.
Re: Fuel Smell in Car
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:37 pm
by J44EAG
I`ll pile in as well if I may from the S-type board.
Missing fuel tank top gasket on mine at one time. Inclined parking on a slope sided street when full, caused fuel to horse out of the tank top and collect in the gutter. Most unpopular with the locals outside the pub having a fag...............
Mike