Page 1 of 1

XKR Strong petrol smell in car 1997

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:48 pm
by fhauser
Hi I have just purchased an XKR.I have a very strong petrol smell in the boot.When the engine is running,and lingers when engine turned off.
So Far I have just changed the petrol cap.Can someone please point me in the right direction
Thankyou

Re: XKR Strong petrol smell in car 1997

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:21 pm
by M100TWO
Have a good look at the petrol tank has it changed shape due to a blocked charcoal filter the end result the fuel pump sucks the fuel and deforms the tank which splits and dumps fuel in bottom of boot.

John

Re: XKR Strong petrol smell in car 1997

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 pm
by Astromorg
I would start by removing the trim panel at the back of the boot that will give you access to some of the petrol tank, the fuel pumps and some of the associated pipework. then start sniffing! :) With and without the engine running.

I think that the trim panel in an early model is held in place with 5 screws/bolts - 3 along the top and one in each lower corner. The side trim panels and boot carpet may have to be removed first.