4.2 Fuel pump
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:30 pm
Hello folks,
I may have a fuel pump fault on my XK8. Please Let me know what you think to the following. It's a 2005 XK8 with 107000 on the clock. During heavy acceleration it holds back (intermittently). Viewing the live data on a diagnostic device, the fuel pressure reaches 70 psi during overrun, and around 55 normally. During the fault condition, it drops to 10 or 12 every time.
No error messages or trouble codes displayed or lights on the dash.
I'm hoping a partially clogged fuel filter is the cause so I'll try that first,
Next up, I'm hoping it's a loose fitting on the top part of the pump (Reverend Sam's YouTube video)
last resort, I'll throw in a new pump. Even with this I'm hoping for a short cut by accessing through the sub-woofer orifice. (Does this work on the 4.2?)
Any light you can throw before I break out the spanners and the wallet appreciated.
ps, I'm still delighted with my XK8, I even added my wife to the policy. After just 20 yards - I saw the famous XK smile on her face too.
regards
Chris Holloway
I may have a fuel pump fault on my XK8. Please Let me know what you think to the following. It's a 2005 XK8 with 107000 on the clock. During heavy acceleration it holds back (intermittently). Viewing the live data on a diagnostic device, the fuel pressure reaches 70 psi during overrun, and around 55 normally. During the fault condition, it drops to 10 or 12 every time.
No error messages or trouble codes displayed or lights on the dash.
I'm hoping a partially clogged fuel filter is the cause so I'll try that first,
Next up, I'm hoping it's a loose fitting on the top part of the pump (Reverend Sam's YouTube video)
last resort, I'll throw in a new pump. Even with this I'm hoping for a short cut by accessing through the sub-woofer orifice. (Does this work on the 4.2?)
Any light you can throw before I break out the spanners and the wallet appreciated.
ps, I'm still delighted with my XK8, I even added my wife to the policy. After just 20 yards - I saw the famous XK smile on her face too.
regards
Chris Holloway